Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    made2last Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Furnace Blower Noisy
    I just bought a house with a probably 50+ year old furnace. It is made by International Heater Company, Utica N.Y. It is 80,000 BTU and the house is 900 square feet. It works perfectly except when the blower comes on it is so noisy. Any remedy to cut out the noise. The repairman said old furnace blowers are just noisy. Thanks.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Made2last,

With a furnace that old, probably upgrading to a new furnace should be considered if for no other reason than the efficiency the new furnace would bring to your heating costs.

If you want to play with the blower, you need to inspect the drive belt to make sure it is not slipping on the birdcage or if your motor is an induction motor, check the capacitor and the motor bearings for noise by rotating the birdcage by hand. Please turn off the motor's electrical circuit at you breaker box. Also, a dirty impeller (birdcage) can cause extra noise, so get in there and clean the vanes in the birdcage and surrounding areas with a brush and then vacuuming.

Personally, I would replace the furnace, but I'm no expert.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Made2last,

Personally, I would consider replacing the old furnace, if for nothing else for the efficiency that a new furnace would give you.

However, if you must toy with the blower motor, I would run an electrical test on the capacitor that supplies both torque and direction to the motor. If the cap is weak from age, this could cause the motor to not have enough drive. FYI, usually, Caps are not a problem, but you would have to test it out. Also make sure the Impeller or birdcage vanes are clean and chip free. The birdcage must rotate freely when turned by hand.

If there is a crusting of dust and dirt, clean the birdcage thoroughly and then vacuum out the resulting debris.

Personally, I'd still cosider replacing the blower motor and impeller or for that matter the whole unit.
    made2last Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Made2last,

With a furnace that old, probably upgrading to a new furnace should be considered if for no other reason than the efficiency the new furnace would bring to your heating costs.

If you want to play with the blower, you need to inspect the drive belt to make sure it is not slipping on the birdcage or if your motor is an induction motor, check the capacitor and the motor bearings for noise by rotating the birdcage by hand. Please turn off the motor's electrical circuit at you breaker box. Also, a dirty impeller (birdcage) can cause extra noise, so get in there and clean the vanes in the birdcage and surrounding areas with a brush and then vacuuming.

Personally, I would replace the furnace, but I'm no expert.
    Thanks so much. I'm not sure what the "furnace inspector" did but he did put on a new belt. Not much difference. There is a metal plaque on the furnace that says to "oil the bearings" 3 times a year. I just left one "money pit" only larger and I hope this isn't going to be one. Thanks for your imput. I know I will have to get a new furnace eventually - probably when I get tired of hearing the noise! I will attempt to do what you
    Instructed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noisy Blower Motor [ 4 Answers ]

I had the 1 hp blower motor on my furnace/air conditioner replaced in December 2005. In the last 2 days, it has gotten extremely loud. It still works, but it sounds like there's an airplane in my basement. Any ideas about what could be going wrong? Is it something that can be fixed or will I...

Noisy blower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace (Day and Night brand) that is about 25 years old. It heats fine but has an extremely noisy blower motor. It is a loud combination of thump, thump,thump with a lot of sheet metal noise. The blower is direct drive (no belt) and I cannot see without doing a complete...

Noisy furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane XE 70 furnace, manufactured around 1990. It has been serviced yearly since I purchased the home 6 years ago. About 2 months ago it began making a low pitch rumble after the burners ignite and before the fan kicks on. The rumble occurs 35 seconds after the burners ignite and lasts...

Noisy furnace [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace makes a banging/popping sound when it starts up and when it shuts off. What causes this?

Noisy blower startup [ 8 Answers ]

In mid-summer I had the blower motor and capacitor replaced in my Comfortmaker RPG II 150,000 BTU natural gas furnace. (The bearing was going out in the motor). This is a direct-drive squirrel cage blower. Since being replaced, it makes a loud 60hz hum startup noise. It varies in pitch as the...

View more questions Search