Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hvdave Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 08:56 AM
    How do I find the floor drain trap in the basement?
    Guys,

I'm new home owner and I have sewer odor in the basement when I turned on my air heater. I read that the floor drain trap should be fill up but I don't know how do I find floor drain trap in the basement so can any one help me?

Thanks in advance

Dave
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Is the floor carpeted or something like that?

Nov 27, 2007, 09:07 AM
    First of all thanks for quick response.

I have unfinished basement and finished basement and I believe the floor drain trap will be in un-finished basement.

Thanks,
    Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 27, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvdave
    guys,

I'm new home owner and I have sewer odor in the basement when I turned on my air heater. I read that the floor drain trap should be fill up but I don't know how do I find floor drain trap in the basement so can any one help me?

Thanks in advance

dave
    Your floor drain has a built in trap. Simply pour a quart of water down the floor drain to fill the trap or if the floor drain isn't used then pour motor oil or anti-freeze to prevent trap seal evaporation. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Not all floor drains are trapped. They are trapped if the floor drain is piped to the sewer line, and as Tom points out, the trap is built in. In my area floor drains are not allowed to be connected to city sewers and must be piped over to a sump pump pit. That type of drain is frequently not trapped since there is no connection to sewer gas.

Nov 28, 2007, 12:28 PM
    I think the unfinished basement had a floor drain and I pour water into it and now looks like the sewer odor stopped coming.

Thank you very much to all of you. I appreciate your help.

Dave
    plumberjames83 Posts: 99, Reputation: 5

Nov 28, 2007, 05:06 PM
    !appplause! To speed ball and ballenger
    Being as it will not let me "rate this answer"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New floor drain in basement [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a rookie here and hope to find some information. I am currently finishing my basement (concrete floor) and I'm going to install a steam room. The steam room requires a floor drain and I'm looking to put it about 18" to 24" from the existing ruffed in shower drain in the nearby bathroom. My...

Basement floor drain [ 6 Answers ]

We have a cast iron basement floor drain with no valve to prevent backflow. Can you put such a valve in an iron pipe and, if so, would I have to go to a plumbing specialty store to get one? The ones at Home Depot are only meant for plastic pipe. If I have to convert to plastic, what is the best...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Colorado and wish to install a basement shower and use the existing floor drain in the basement to connect the shower basin drain to it. Is that OK to do? What problems might I encounter? How do I know if one exists? If none exists, what are the code requirements? The house was built...

1930s basement floor drain w/out trap? [ 5 Answers ]

Have any of you ever seen a floor drain that doesn't have a trap in it? In our house half the basement is finished and the other half unfinished, both have floor drains in lowest part of the room. The one in the unfinished part always worked, albeit slowly, but recently stopped and when snaked...

View more questions Search