Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gabzeek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Sears Craftsman riding mower will not start
    Sears Craftsman riding mower will not start. Not a click sound. Battery is good. I think the key switch is good. When I checked it has continuity when switched to ON. Where do I need to check next?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 15, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Your tractor has at least 3 safety switches that need to be checked. The seat safety switch is under the seat and should show no continuity when you are seated, it shorts when you get off. The test the blade engagement switch and then the clutch/brake switch. If all switches test OK then check the black and the white wire at the solenoid. When you turn the key the solenoid should click and show 12 vdc. If you have power but no click then the solenoid is bad. Try jumpering the two large red wires on the solenoid with the key turned on. Use a heavy wire, it will heat up quickly. If the engine starts then you likely have a bad ignition switch.
    blh Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Some if not all Sears mowers also have a 20 AMP Fuse in the wireing harness.
    MrNewYears Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 06:51 AM
    My Craftsman tractor would not start either - I was cutting the grass and it just stopped. Tried starting, nothing, no clicks, nothing. So, since I needed to do some maintenance, here's what I replaced: battery, solenoid, starter, oil & filter, fuel filter, spark plug, muffler and fuel tank (small crack in the old one).

Still nothing. Read here and saw to check fuse. While doing so, I noticed a hot lead wire from the solenoid that was sliced almost all the way through. Cut it, spliced it, crimped it and it started up!

So, the lesson is: check your wiring for any cuts, too, in addition to the good advice given here.
    blh Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Glad my answer helped you. Sometimes we forget to check the easy things. Most times the easiest solution to a problem is the most obvious. "if you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras".
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Check the fuse. It is located in between the solenoid and ignition switch.
    gsaddler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2010, 06:21 PM
    My lawn mower stopped in the middle of mowing I have relpaced the battery, spark plugs, solenoid, I do get a click what else do I need to do
    dfincher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Where are the blade and brake switch located and how do I test them?
    dfincher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2012, 10:01 AM
    [QUOTE=dfincher;3145155]where are the blade and brake switch located and how do I test them or what do I test them with?
    Draks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2013, 02:43 PM
    Craftsman, 42" Rider, 917.271142
    Won't start, hear click of solenopid... tested seat safety, OK. Was working fine, left it after my last cut when it was running OK... I have had some issues of having to 'wiggle' around on top of it to get it started - as if the seat sensor was bad, but not this time. Also, the flywheel starter are not engaged, not too sure where to look next...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My tractor quit on me during my grass cutting. I have not been able to get it started. I've Changed the air filters, a new spark plug, a new solenoid, a new fuel filter, a new battery. When I put it on choke and try to start it, the engine turns but won't start. After that,all I hear is the...

Craftsman Briggs & Stratton 15.5 Riding Mower Want Start [ 16 Answers ]

I have put in new battery, new solenoid switch and my mower still won't fire. No sound at all. What seems to be the problem?

My 11hp Craftsman riding mower will not start [ 2 Answers ]

My mower just keeps turning over but not starting up . I have checked everying ,all I know is I was cutting my land and it just died and now will not start . Please help thank you

Sears Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower Blade adjustment [ 1 Answers ]

My Sears Craftsman 42" cut riding lawnmower has 2 blade decks. With the height adjustment lever in the highest position (or in any position), the left blade/deck cuts lower than the right. How do I adjust the left blade deck/blade to a higher position?l

Pully removal from a sears craftsman riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

Im trying to remove the pully from the transmission on a craftsman riding mower. Does anyone know if the pully or shaft has to be heated to remove? I've soaked it with wd40 and it still won't budge!

View more questions Search