Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helenemurphy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 10:51 AM
    Ceiling light stopped working
    Hello,
    Last night I turned on the ceiling light in the hallway and it made a popping noise, with a small blue flash at the light, exactly like when a light bulb has just burned out. There are three bulbs in the light fixture and after that none would come on. I changed all three bulbs and the light does not work. I put the original bulbs in another light to test them, and they all work, so obviously the sound and light flash I saw was not a bulb burning out. I believe it is a Hampton Bay fixture. It's decorative with palm trees and an ocean scene and was fairly expensive. I'm a single homeowner and don't know if I need an electrician due to an electrical problem, a handy man to install a new light fixture, could it be a faulty dimmer switch? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Helen in Tarpon Springs, Florida
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2005, 11:52 AM
    Most likely a wire shorted out in the fixture and burned off. It may have popped the breaker too, or burned off too quick for that. Good chances it is a simple fix. With the power off, try to take the fixture apart. You may be able to splice the wire, or splice in a new piece. If you don't want to tackle it, anybody that is handy at all should be able to fix it. I am guessing the bulb sockets all looked OK. Sometimes they burn up. You may even have to replace one if the wire is burned off too close. If so, take it out, and take it to a good hardware store and ask for a new one. You are more likely to find good people at an Ace or Top Value than Lowe's or Home Depot.
    helenemurphy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 02:20 PM
    Thank you
    LabMan,
    Thank you. The first thing I did was check the circuit breaker, but it had not tripped. I will check it out and see if I can fix it. If not, I'll get a handy man. I'm not that handy... :p :p

Helen
    timmy5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 08:31 AM
    I also heard a pop and one light bulb burned out of our Hampton Bay, we replaced it but now the 3 lights just stay on dim. Could it possibly be a potentiometer? Or a burned wire. I assume if it is a burned wire the bulbs would not be lit at all.
    Thanks, Timmy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton Ceiling fan remote stopped working [ 50 Answers ]

I moved into our house about 1.5 years ago. In one room there is a Hampton Bay ceiling fan which has a remote control. A few weeks ago the whole device stopped working, meaning we can't get either the fan or the light to turn on. We replaced the battery in the remote control, and checked the...

Ceiling fan light not working [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a ceiling fan, but two of the four lights don't work. I replaced the light kit but that wasn't the problem. I have a two switch wall switch. I wired the white to white, black to black, blue to blue and ground to ground. Do you think the ceiling fan is defective?

One Light Stopped Working on a Track of 3 [ 2 Answers ]

We have a track light that has been up for a year with no problems. One bulb burned out (we thought). We got a replacement bulb from the hardware store and changed it, but the bulb still won't work. We checked and the bulb is the correct type. It plugs in fine, fits snug, and everything seems...

2 Ceiling Lights stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Both my upstairs landing light and bedroom light have both stopped working. What ever has caused them to stop also appears to have blown the bulbs. I have changed the bulbs and checked the fuse board (not sure if that's the correct name for it) but all the switches were still on. I turned them off...

View more questions Search