Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maidinbritain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 01:30 PM
    School child won't stop crying
    I work as a lunchtime supervisor at a primary school, and have seen many different child behaviors and also managed to resolve many issues.

But this one has me stumped and I don't know how to handle it-a young child in my care, has started reception (1st year at school, she is 4) and we are now into week 3/4 of the term; the problem is as soon as her Mother drops her off at school, she cries; and when I come to look after her at lunchtime she cries solidly for 1 1/2 hours and all I manage to get out of her is "I feel sick" and "I want my Mummy".

I have tried introducing her to her class mates, have tried asking her what she likes to watch on TV, what's her favourite toy? does she like dancing? Singing? Tried getting her to join in her peers games. Shown her around the playground. Tried letting her "help" me do my job. But she just cries and cries, and we are talking real streams of tears.

The teachers at school have just said to ignore her, but I don't know if that is the best policy and just wondered if anyone out there could suggest anything that will help her day be a little happier.

Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 3, 2007, 01:42 PM
    It is a period of adjustment for her and it looks like you have been thorough trying new things. If nothing works then I don't know what you can do. As soon as she finds an interest, a playmate, liking the curiculum, there isn't much you can do. Does your mom know this is happening ? Maybe finding out what special treats she likes would help, her mom could help in that regard.
    maidinbritain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 02:09 AM
    Thanks for that answer, it's a very difficult one I know. I am quite used to children crying, usually though it only lasts about 5-10 minutes and I can calm them down. But this little one is intent on making herself exhausted by crying and crying all day.

I have a little girl at the school also, she is in year 2 (6 years old) so a little older than this reception child. Anyway, obviously, I take my child to school in the morning, and this morning I happened to observe the crying reception child going into school-she was at full throtle at the door-screaming and crying, her teachers (it took 2 of them) were holding her very firmly to get her into the building. She screamed the loudest I have heard yet, and her Mother went back to her, which probably wasn't the best thing, but she is obviously feeling very distressed. The child, then, was picked up and practically dragged into school, and the Mother was left, by now crying herself.

It is heartbreaking to watch and I really feel for them as a family, because they are all obviously feeling this separation tough. And the only thing this child wants-her Mother-is the one thing we cannot give her.

I found an American website yesterday that suggests asking her 3 things she hates about school and 3 things she loves, it says not to offer any suggestions or solutions but rather to just listen to the child-I shall try it and see if that works, but I've got a feeling because she is crying and screaming so much (and I am really not exagerrating-it's an all day long thing, she doesn't stop even for a breather) that she won't even hear what I am saying.

One thing is for sure I am not ready to give up on this little girl, she is such a sweet little thing really and she has a couple of friends waiting to play with her, but they can't understand why she is crying so much, I hope they don't give up on her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Continued child support when child quits school [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York & this is my question... Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments,...

When does child support stop? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband currently pays child support for a 17 and 14 year old and their mother has told them that their dad could have to pay child support for them through college. I thought it stopped after completing high school or age 18. Which is it? Thanks for your help!

Dog won't stop crying at night [ 9 Answers ]

Every night when I go put my 1 yr old mix in his cage he will start to cry when all of the light go off. I would give him a bone and that works for a little while then he will go back to crying. After about 30min has passed he would fall asleep. Is there something wrong with him or is he just...

Why won't he stop crying? [ 5 Answers ]

My son is two next week and until a couple of weeks ago was perfectly well behaved and then he has suddenly changed. He won't go to bed, he just stands in his cot and screams, I have tried going to him and trying to soothe him and then leaving the room but he continues to scream. It is now a...

Why can't I stop crying for this jerk [ 2 Answers ]

2nd cheater in 2 years -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I seem to attract cheaters or look likea doormant. My first one was a Minister and went back to his wife along with me and another woman. I found him out and was enraged, left him and got...

View more questions Search