Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4babykitties Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Umbilical cord
    My one week old kitten's umbilcal cord looks infected, how can I treat him?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Umbilical infection

If a cord is severed to close to the abdomen, infection may occur. A longer cord typically prevents infection by drying up faster than the bacteria can reach the abdomen. Bacteria present in the queen's mouth or contaminated (fecal and or birthing fluids) bedding is generally the source of infections.

Symptoms: naval area may look red or swollen and might drain puss or form an abscess.
    If left untreated, signs of septicemia set in. Some times there are no signs at all and you find the kitten dead with bloated and or discolored abdomen.

Treatment: If the umbilical cord has been cut too short or close to abdomen, gently wash the area with surgical soap (betadine). Apply a triple antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin. You might wish to remove the kitten from the queen and hand raise temporarily so she does not lick off the antibiotic ointment or aggravate the wound by excessive grooming. Contact your Vet. Injectable antibiotics should be administered at first sign of infection. Inspect all littermates as more than one may be infected.
    Here you go. I took this from here : Rainbow Safari Bengals

My best suggestion would be to get him checked out by a vet. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer cord [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change an old 3 prong dryer cord to a new 4 prong cord. My dryer has 3 on it but new house has 4 prong receptale.

Replace blower cord [ 1 Answers ]

Replace blower cord

Percolator cord [ 1 Answers ]

The cord of my electric coffee percolator becomes very, very hot while the coffee is perking. Is the pot, cord or outlet defective? The cord is the original which came with the percolator.

Dryer Cord [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite dryer, it can be three or four wired. It has a four wire cord on it now. I need to replace it with a three wire. Can anyone give me a diagram how to hook up the connections? XLX55:confused:

Homelite Trimmer Cord [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how to remove the metal cylinder (where rod goes) so I can remove orange housing - and reach cord to replace. On top of cylinder is a piece that looks like it might have star screw down inside of it. Any help would be appreciated. Cyn

View more questions Search