Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donbur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Garnishment of joint checking account for credit card debt
    I live in Mississippi. My husband had a judgement against him by Discover Card. In January, 2007, they took $547.05 from out joint account. (The money is still in there today, just showing unavailable.) I opened my own account in just my name with payment on demand to my husband. They won't let me close the old account. My husband's income is a disability check through the Railroad Retirement, which we now have coming in the mail instead of direct deposit. I take the check and deposit it into my account each month. I have two questions. First, if we change my husband's check to going direct deposit again, can they attach my account? Second, what happens to the old account when my husband dies? He is terminally ill, and not expected to live much longer.
    webworm98 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donbur
    I live in Mississippi. My husband had a judgement against him by Discover Card. In January, 2007, they took $547.05 from out joint account. (The money is still in there today, just showing unavailable.) I opened my own account in just my name with payment on demand to my husband. They won't let me close the old account. My husband's income is a disability check through the Railroad Retirement, which we now have coming in the mail instead of direct deposit. I take the check and deposit it into my account each month. I have two questions. First, if we change my husband's check to going direct deposit again, can they attatch my account? Second, what happens to the old account when my husband dies? He is terminally ill, and not expected to live much longer.
    You need to go to the bank and tell them. In the U.S. under Federal Laws. Federal government payments can not be garnished even with a court order. The only exception are Federal Taxes, Student loans, Child support and over payment from benefits.

I would go into the bank and nicely discuss this with a customer service rep. The bank should investigate this and release the funds within a couple of days. You husband may need to give you power of attorney to do this.

If this does not help or they refuse to work with you. Contact an attorney. Banks must follow the law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking Account Garnishment Law MO. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a single checking account that's is being garnished. 1. No notification that the garnishment was taking place or in affect. 2. My work requires direct deposit. 3. Every dime I make is gone the moment it is deposited. 4. I went to court about a year ago and signed saying I agreed...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Credit card debt wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

OK well I was extremely irresponisble with a credit card as are a lot of 21 year olds.. but I got way behind on my discover account and they turned me over to this lawyers office about my account.. well we came up with an agreement and needless to say they been taking money out of my account for...

Wage Garnishment of Credit Card debt OREGON [ 1 Answers ]

My son is in the process of trying to get his life straightened out. Mainly he is struggling... and succeeding to get off drugs. He's recently found a job (after 4 or 5 years of being jobless). Problem is, he maxed several credit cards unwisely during the time he was using drugs. Most of them...

Garnishment of tx checking account [ 1 Answers ]

Can my checking account be garnished by a creditor with a judgement against me?

View more questions Search