Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tillytitmouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 31, 2007, 04:09 PM
    On SSI & being evicted
    My sister is on ssi & hasn't paid her rent for 2 months. Can her landlord evict her even though she s disabled? Can she sue him if he does evict her? I heard there was a law protecting disabled people on ssi from eviction. She does not receive any other supplimental rent or any government help for rent.
    Thanks
    Linda
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 31, 2007, 04:35 PM
    She is subject to laws the same as anyone else. He can't discriminate, but at the same time she has to pay accommodation too. If she can't pay it there then she has to find subsidized housing somewhere else that is affordable for her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Why should he be forced to give someone a place to live, A landlord is not a charity, for example, many of my rental houses, if they don't pay their rent, I can't make the payment on the house, so I lose the house,

I can't believe anyone things someone gets free rental. They need to try and get government housing that is paid by some government program.

But no, if they can not pay the rent, they should just move, it is "theft" in my mind for a person to steal rental from a landlord. This is his business, his means of making a living,

Let her move in with you, if she can't pay her rent, or why don't you pay her rent, you seem to think a landlord is suppose to pay it for her
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 06:18 PM
    People who are on SSI have to pay rent. Period. It is their obligation, duty, responsibility, and legal consequence of being an adult who rents from a landlord. Now since she receives SSI, why isn't she receiving any subsized housing? Or is she receiving housing assistance and this amount she is not paying is the amount she is supposed to pay after housing covers their share?

There is no law saying that a person with disabilities does not have pay rent or cannot be evicted (for just cause). The just cause in this case is not paying the rent.
    tillytitmouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Aug 1, 2007, 02:47 AM
    FR_ CHUCK,
    You shouldn't ASSUME things ! I agree with you, she should move, being disabled doesn't make her ' SPECIAL'' & my FATHERS the landlord! He s losing his retirement income because she REFUSES to move. I asked for a LEGAL answer, NOT your assumptions.
    Because of her abusive behaviour( drugs, alcohol, food, PEOPLE ect) NO One in the family WANTS her. Her fault! I'm trying to protect my father.
    Thank you, to the rest of you kind posters, I appreciate your proffessional & unjudgemental answers !
    Blessed be,
    tillytitmouse ( who s ALSO disabled but not from addiction problem s & PAYS HER OWN BILLS)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 05:00 AM
    Your Father is within his rights to evict your sister. Maybe your sister can find help through one of your local aid associations like the Salvation Army or Community Action, etc. Does she have a Casemanager through Social Services that can work with her? It also sounds like she needs a Representative Payee, since she does not manage her money well enough to pay her rent. Social Security determines that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tillytitmouse
    FR_ CHUCK,
    You shouldnt ASSUME things !
    Maybe you should try telling the whole story. Chuck's answer was perfectly reasonable based on the information YOU gave us. The tone of your note was one of trying to protect your sister from eviction simply because she is on disability.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Yes, you made it sound like she was renting from a landlord, not her father, I own a lot of rentals, and it is not my place to provide a home for everyone who can not pay.

But my same statement applies, if her landlord wants her out, even if it is her father, he is a landlord, so other family members can take her in, so you pay her rent for her or take her in, till she can find government assistance to pay rent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son who is on SSI [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My son is 17 He will be 18, this sept. He also gets SSI, for begin mildy mental retared. SS said that he will be coming up for review, rigth before his 18 B day, I guess this is were he has to apply, rigth, they haven't said anything other wise. (what I want to know is, what are...

Getting Evicted [ 6 Answers ]

Here's the situation. There's a 1 year lease with 9 months remaining. The property was sold and you have 3 weeks to get out because the new landowner is demo'ing the house. Can this legally happen? Their lawyers say there is no lease with the new landowners so be lucky you have 3 weeks to get...

Ssi and ssdi [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if a privet person sue you when you are on ssi and ssdi thank you

Being evicted [ 3 Answers ]

I have been a tenant for about 6 years. The first year was with a contract and the rest was a month to month basis. The landlord, after six years, wants to evict me. He sent a written paper giving me a two months notice. I told him that I would leave, but I would need some time. I told him that...

Ssi&ssdi [ 2 Answers ]

I like to know if you are on ssiand ssdi can some one sue you and to hold are checks thank you

View more questions Search