Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kr8382 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 01:36 PM
    What does it mean if a parent would sign over their rights?
    Does that mean the children would be elligible for adoption?
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Jun 27, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Do you mean to sign over the rights to the other parent? The answer would be no. Children are only eligible for adoption once the Court has terminated the parental rights.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Actually, I'm going to have to disagree here.

If someone is waiting to adopt the kids (through an arranged adoption, or a step-parent, etc), then signing over their parental rights is the first step in the adoption process.
    kr8382 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 05:18 AM
    Sorry I was so vague on the initial question. When I say sign over parental rights I mean, to another family member... it is my cousin. I just want to know what it means if she were to sign over the children to my husband and myself? Could we then proceed with adoption of the children?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2007, 04:17 PM
    In order for anyone to adopt a child, the biological parent(s) must sign a form giving their consent for the person in question to adopt the child. If one parent has custody and wants a "significant other" to adopt the child, thereby taking on the role of being the other parent, then the other biological parent must sign his/her consent, unless (s)he is deceased and the other parent can provide legal documentation (i.e. a death certificate) or has unknown whereabouts. In the case of unknown whereabouts, a judge would most likely require the custodial parent to make every good faith attempt to locate the other parent, in an effort to get him/her to sign the consent form, and document his/her attempts to do so. If, despite the custodial parent's best efforts the other parent cannot be located, then after a prescribed waiting period (say 90 or 180 days), the judge would authorize the adoption without the other parent actually signing consent. Now, if neither prospective adoptive parent has biological ties to the child in question, then both parents must sign consent before anyone else can adopt the child. An exception might be that, if the biological father has never been identified, the adoption may proceed with just the mother's consent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign over my rights [ 3 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend moved my daughter out of state last year. I have paid support for 9 yrs. I do not get to see my daughter because of the move and I cannot afford to go back to court. How do I go about relinquishing my rights and does my ex need to approve?

How do I sign my rights off? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have to 2 kids in Pa and I don't get to see them and they have a new mother now... I'm paying child support for them I don't know why I should pay I don't talk to them or see them Please tell me how!!

Can he sign over rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and live in California and recently found out that I am pregnant. I am happy but my ex boyfriend is not. He is in the army and feels this baby and I will ruin his military career. He feels I am only keeping this baby so I can receive the benefits from the Army. He wants to sign...

How to have one parent rights terminated [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how to have my daughters father rights terminated. He has nothing to do with her. Unless his sister takes her over there. But I just found out that when she goes over he has nothing to do with her. He pay childsupport but its nothing. He said he would sign his rights over but, I'm in...

Should grand parent have visitation rights? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm not married to the baby's daddy and I don't want his mother to take care of my baby because she said when I was pregnant that she was not going to baby sit. I'm working now and she gets mad because I don't want her to take care of my baby. Now she wants to take me to court to get visitation...

View more questions Search