Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redrobin33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Emancipation of 18 year old child
    My youngest child is 18 and has graduated from high school he has not enrolled in college and has no plans to enroll. Can I get him emancipated so that my child Support will end?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 02:37 PM
    When I turned 18 my father went to his lawyer to some sign some kind of paperwork ending his responsibilities to pay child support. At 18 he is a legal adult so emancipation in a sense is already done. :)
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 21, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Check your support order, usually it ends automatically at 18 unless the child is a student.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Generally, at 18, a person is emancipated. You ask about child support - what does your divorce state, under the section about child support? Read that - it will give you the conditions of continued support past the age of 18. If you cannot find your divorce decree, get in contact with your attorney, who handled the divorce. Or call your Child Support Enforcement Agency. They have the child support order on file.

If you are required to pay past the age of 18 and part of that requirement is for the child to be in college, and your 18 yr old is not going to enroll, then you have to go and petition the court, to review the order. Get your documentation and get to your attorney and the rest you can figure out. Good luck.
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8

Jun 21, 2007, 09:07 PM
    It totally depends on what type of order your child support was ordered under.

In Florida, if it was ordered at your local child support office, the child does emancipate at age 18 but if they are still in high school at 18, child support can be extended but the custodial parent has to file a petition to do this. This is not your situation though. In your situation if the case is from a child support order then he may still be paying child support to pay off child support arrears owed to you. You do not state if the father is up to date with his child support payments and owes any arrears. He would keep paying even if the child is 18 until all arrears are paid off.

If your child support is ordered under a divorce order then you would have to read your order specifically to see what it states when the child turns 18. You also don't state whether there are any younger children because if there are, in a lot of instances, child support continues in the same amount until the youngest child turns 18. Unless the divorce order states differently.

If the child is 18, the father does not owe arrears, there are no younger kids and your divorce order says he doesn't have to pay after the child turns 18 then he does not have to pay child support to you. You can just contact the father or his attorney and tell him to stop paying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emancipation of 16 year old in Indiana [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 16 year old high school student in need of some answers about the emancipation laws and requirements to be emancipated. I am already practically living on my own. My mom has let my boyfriend move in and has been living with me for almost 7 months now and he and I are paying the bills...

No child support in year don't want ex to be involved with child. [ 3 Answers ]

My ex has not paid any child support in 1 year. I did not take him to court. I really don't want him to be involved with the child because he has uncontroled mental illness. What rights does he have? My new husband wants to adupt him well that be possible and how? Do I have any rights that well...

Indiana emancipation of 18-year-old adult [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to find some information for my girlfriend. She is currently in high school, but could have graduated early (waited to get honors credit), is 18 years old, and living at home with her parents. Her family does not approve of our 2yr long relationship (I'm her age, don't worry) in general,...

29 year old child support [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks For your time, My best friend was arrested yesterday over back child support payment from Michigan. We live in Florida (So he is to be extradited back to Michigan and no bail can be set) He was never married to this woman, and can't remember any occasion this may have occurred. He was...

Left me with 1 year old child [ 6 Answers ]

8 weeks before my wedding my partner went out with another woman and my child for the day and decided to keep it a secret. I found out the next day by quextionning him after seeing her number on his phone. He said that he didn't tell me because I would have gone mad but why lie? After this he said...

View more questions Search