Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Tanning bed while pregnant?
    I'm 9 weeks pregnant and I asked my OB if it was okay for me to lay in the tanning bed and he said that as long as my body temp stays relatively normal and doesn't get really high or anything that it won't hurt the baby. But a lot of me friends and family (most of which who are pregnant or already have kids) are telling me my OB is nuts. So From a medical stand point, is it safe to lay in the tanning bed (And not daily or anything, just once or twice a week)?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Even if you are not pregnant it can be dangerous to tan in a tanning bed;

Burns
    Contact dermatitis
    Overheating
    Dehydration
    Skin cancer.

Wait a few months till you have your baby and then tan

Besides you probably have that nice pregnancy glow.
    newlablover Posts: 120, Reputation: 10

Jun 8, 2007, 01:35 PM
    When you tan your body temperature goes up so I don't think you should. I know that when I found out I was pregannt I stopped on my own decision because I figured it want safe. I'm not sure where you live but it is summer here. I would just put on a lite sun block and tan put sise if you really want to be tan.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Jun 8, 2007, 03:37 PM
    If you use a nice bed with fans inside and you don't sweet or feel uncomfortable while tanning, you should be able tan. My OBGYN said tanning is fine. I don't tan but I am in no way scared of going tanning.
    newlablover Posts: 120, Reputation: 10

Jun 8, 2007, 03:46 PM
    I just don't think its safe to tan while yo are pregnant I know that I was told not to by my ob
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jun 9, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Well I guess this comes down to do you want to your unborn child's eyes to be exposed to the lights from the tanning bed? I think that it's a personal choice though I wouldn't recommed doing it.
    greeneyedgirl74 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Oct 30, 2010, 04:43 AM
    I have 3 kids and I tanned my entire pregnancy. I manage a tanning salon and would go early morning. As long as you don't get over heated. My OB told me the same thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tanning without freckles? [ 19 Answers ]

I have pale skin and a lot of freckles! In the summer, my freckles really come out and cover my WHOLE face. I am going to be in a wedding soon wearing a strapless dress. All the other bridesmaids are so tan, so I'm going to start tanning soon so I have lots of color for the June wedding. ...

Tanning [ 2 Answers ]

OK... last few years I've spent each day of my summer either in class (college) or at work... so basically I'm pretty pale/white. I've recently joined a new gym and noticed they have those tanning machines, I've never used them, or actually "tanned" (purposely). Should I use that tanning machine,...

Vitiligo and tanning [ 7 Answers ]

I have Vitiligo on about 40% of my body (for those of you who don't know, it means that those areas are without pigmentation). I would like to walk around with a nice, deep tan (I live in Florida). Could you recommend any skin stains and such that I could use, which would last a long time? ...

The best way to tan(tanning bed vs. Sun) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an olive complexion and its usually easy for me to tan but I rarely go to the tanning bed or tan outside. Is it healthier to tan inside or out? I've read some articles about different types of tanning beds have different types of uv rays and that its less harmfull than the sun. but I also...

Racoon Eyes from the Tanning Bed [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I lay in a tanning bed, I wear the goggles and now I have white rings around my eyes. How can I fix this?:eek:

View more questions Search