Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RobDot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Replacing Shower Valve Stems/Seats
    Since the valve stems don't have a brand name anywhere on them I am concerned I may get the wrong size or thread type. Are plumbing parts consistent all across the board? I just can't seem to get this drip to stop completely. I can slow it down, but the washer ends up getting wrecked in about 3 weeks or a month and here we go tightening it closed harder and harder and eventually replacing it (again). The valve seats look o.k. and it wouldn't cost much to replace, but again, if I get the wrong size or thread type and then screw up the female thread it would take lots of money to fix that. Any advice out there on how standard these items are as far as sizes/threads are concerned?
    Old Toolmaker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Hi, RobDot

It's pretty hard to blind diagnose, but I've done this same routine several times. The problem is likely the seat, not the stem or washer. Although you should put a new washer in when you re-install a new seat. The reason it keeps leaking after a new washer is a very small groove cut across the face of the seat. This happens with water pressure leaking in the same spot over time. Sort of like erosion of rock by water.

First, can you get the old seat out ? If it screws out, CAREFULLY remove it. Most seats are right hand threads, so turn the removal tool counterclockwise. Some seats do not screw out, and are pressed in. More difficult to remove. Usually you have to tap the hole in the seat and use some type of pull hammer to get them out. Best left to a plumber unless you're pretty mechanical.

Take the old seat to some old time hardware store first. They have gauges to check the thread and give you a correct replacement seat. If they don't have it, take it to some larger plumbing supply house. There are usually one or more in any larger city. Chain stores may or may not have the correct seat, but for sure they won't have anyone capable of assisting you. Most of their stuff will be for more modern faucets.

Threaded seats re-install pretty easily. Pressed in seats are not too bad, just take care to keep them level when going back into the hole. A stepped wood dowell pin works pretty well, or there is a tool made for the purpose (plumbing supply house).

Tip: before re-installing the new seat, coat the DRY threads with an anti-seize compound or silicone grease... just a little... this will make removal much easier in the future.

If you can't remove the seat, a last ditch effort can be to purchase a seat re-cutting tool, also available at hardware stores. These are a little tricky to use, that's why do it last. Sometimes a seat has the groove just too darn deep to cut out, and replacement of the seat or faucet unit is the only option.

Good luck, and let me know how you come out.
    Old Toolmaker

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing bathroom sink shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

The shut off valve for the bathroom sink is really old and can not be turned off. The bathroom remodel will take awhile so I can't go that long without water in the whole house. What is needed to replace the existing shut off valve so that we can remove the old sink and continue work on the...

Valve stems [ 3 Answers ]

Do I need to shut off main water when changing valve stems in a shower?

Replacing Shower Knobs & Stems [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently renting a condo that the landlord had bought replacement knobs for the shower before moving, but didn't have time to install them. He is out of state. I tried putting them on but they were the wrong ones and I happened to strip the brass parts that the knobs tighten up to. When I...

Installed new bathtub valve stems now "no cold water" [ 5 Answers ]

I have just replaced both hot and cold valve stems in bathtub. I did them exactly the same and now I can't get the cold water to come out. What can I try to do to fix this problem. Someone said I should have the valve open when installing? I am desperate and exhausted please help!! :(

Replacing shower faucet seats? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to remove the seats in my shower faucet, and I think they are stripped. Am I turning them the wrong way? (right tight left loose, not sure if mayber they are reversed for some plummbing reason?) and if they are to stripped, how do I change them? Thanks.

View more questions Search