Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siniang Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2018, 01:40 PM
    12A for J-1 student?
    Hello,

I'm currently preparing my tax return. I noticed that on my W-2 I have a really big amount listed in 12A - "Uncollected Social Security". This surprised me since, as a J-1 student working on-campus, I do not have to pay into Social Security. What do I do with this amount? Is that tax that I still have to pay despite being exempt from paying into Social Security (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...medicare-taxes)

I'm filling 1040NR-EZ

Thank you very much for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2018, 04:21 PM
    You ARE exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes under the J-1 visa for the first two years you are in the United States; that is U.S. tax law.

I recommend you go back to your employer and ask that the Box 12A notation be removed with a Form W-2C.

Apr 4, 2018, 04:33 PM
    Thank you for your reply. Do you have a source for the 2 years?

As a J-1 STUDENT, shouldn't I have 5 years?

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...medicare-taxes

"foreign students in F-1, J-1, M-1, Q-1 or Q-2 nonimmigrant status who have been in the United States less than 5 calendar years are still NONRESIDENT ALIENS and are still exempt from social security/Medicare taxes."

I'm in my 4th year for tax purposes, so last year was my 3rd.

I'm already in contact with HR, but they had advised me to consult a professional tax preparer... I will push them to issue a new form without the 12A notation.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2018, 05:05 PM
    If you are a STUDENT under the J-1 visa, then the exemption from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) IS five years,

Apr 4, 2018, 11:20 PM
    Thank you!
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2018, 11:42 PM
    Glad to Help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Working as a Full time employee (non-student status) as a student? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm just wondering if you could work as a full-time employee, a non-student status one, despite being a student? If not, is it determined by the company you work at or is it by law that you can't. Thanks!

Can I file 1040A as I am an international student and paying my Student loan in USA? [ 1 Answers ]

To,Atlanta Tax Expert Hi,I am an international student currently on OPT-F1 visa and working full time. I am paying my student loan in USA through citi bank.I am going to get the 1098e form from bank about $2800 interest or something.. I called many tax filers and telling me different forms.....

Can I file 1040A as I am an international student and paying my Student loan in USA. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,I am an international student currently on OPT-F1 visa and working full time. I am paying my student loan in USA through citi bank.I am going to get the 1098e form from bank about $2800 interest or something.. I called many tax filers and telling me different forms.. I am so confused what...

Can a student on F-1 (student) visa claim deduction or credit for tuition expenses? [ 6 Answers ]

Can a student on F-1 (student) visa claim deduction or credit for tuition expenses? Thank you.

Married student from India, on OPT, cannot claim student loan on 1040NR. Help? [ 1 Answers ]

I am married & was on OPT till sep 09 & from Oct 1 H1B. I don't pass substaitial presence test. Since I am from India, I can claim personal exemption for my spouse as well as standard deduction. But I was not give student loan deduction. IRS said that my status is married filing separately, where...

View more questions Search