Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2017, 05:56 AM
    Fair winds and following seas
    To the sailors lost on the USS Fitzgerald.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 19, 2017, 06:06 AM
    With you on that 100% Athos. Hope they get to the bottom of how such a tragic accident happens, and take steps to make sure it never happens again.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2017, 06:50 AM
    This should never happen. Can't blame the cargo ship .The Fitzgerald is built to have a small radar footprint. But the cargo ship had to look like a skyscraper to the person monitoring the radar on the Fitzgerald . These big freighters take about 3 miles to slow down. The Fizgerald was built for speed and maneuverability . Someone fell asleep on watch while in a known shipping lane.
    Eternal Father, strong to save,
    Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
    Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
    Its own appointed limits keep;
    Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
    For those in peril on the sea!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iu8y2pvuRg
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2017, 02:06 PM
    This is from Commentary which is sub
    subscription only .If you can't open the link let me know and I'll c/p . This is an interesting twist .
    https://www.commentarymagazine.com/f...ontainer-ship/
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2017, 07:08 PM
    Quite amazing situation when you consider the facts, the naval vessel must have been crossing the bow of the slower container vessel, that they wouldn't have known exactly where it was is inconcievable
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2017, 04:21 AM
    Lot of people asleep at the wheel on the Fitzgerald, any one of which would have prevented this, From the Radar operators, right on down to the people on physical watch duty. Maritime law has larger ships always having the right of way. I see a Captain about to lose his command in the very near future. Ultimate responsibility rests on the Captains shoulders.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pounds/Hurricane winds [ 10 Answers ]

I have a shed which I need to anchor down. I found a kit which states you would need 1500 pounds of force for the object it is holding down to move. What does 1500 pounds of force equal per MPH?

Doing business over seas [ 9 Answers ]

I had question regarding to do business over sea with person that I never meet him/her before?

Husband over seas [ 3 Answers ]

I got married last year over seas. How do I go about getting a divorce? I never added my husband on taxes. So does the marriage count in the US if I was to get married here?

What are convective winds in plain terms? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a report on convective winds and I need to explain in it plain terms. Any help would be great. Thank you very much.

Going over seas [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is a spc in the army stationed in germany and we've been trying for a year to go about moving there on post with him. I've run into the problem ambiances birth father won't sign a sworn statement so I can move there. He has not seen her talked to her sent her anything for any holidays...

View more questions Search