Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sheldonia Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 5, 2012, 09:36 AM
    EtG lab responsibility to do visual test for dilution
    I am in a "pre-trial services" program in Colorado that requires me to do 2x weekly EtG tests for alcohol. Since I have to travel to California for work, the court said I could do so as long as I found a lab that I could do the tests at, which I did and it was approved by my "case officer".

So on Mondays and Fridays I go up to Los Angeles to do the test, and the results are emailed to me and the case officer usually four or five days later. So all the tests are negative, as expected since I haven't had a drop to drink and have militantly avoided any incidental exposure, but I just got the result from Monday's test and it says "Negative - Dilute".

Now I'm freaking out because I've heard that some legal agencies say that a "dilute" sample is a positive, but I have not intentionally tried to dilute a sample any time, since I have absolutely nothing to hide, and have relied on the person collecting the sample to do a visual and confirm that the sample is acceptable - what else could I do? If they say the sample looks fine - and I would think it would be their responsibility, if the sample appears to be too clear, to ask me to wait and do another one, because how would I possibly know what the levels are?

At the collection site in Colorado, there is a color chart on the wall where they do the paperwork after the sample is taken, and if it's too clear they make you give another one - this implies to me that it's their responsibility to judge the sample acceptable or not.

I normally drink a lot of water/diet soda/coffee and have done my best to not overdo it in the hours before going up there to test, but it's A) physically impossible for me to hold my first morning urine (it's up to a 2-hour drive up there, even longer if I try to leave to get there right when they open because of LA traffic) so I try to hydrate enough so that I will be able to produce a sample when I get there but without overdoing it. But I have no way of knowing what the dilution is when I provide the sample so I am relying on their judgment whether to accept the sample or not. The collector (it's been the same woman each time) has never indicated in any way that the sample appears to be too clear or unacceptable in any way. If the expert cannot tell this until the sample is actually tested, how would I be able to?

So my question I guess is, whether it is the collector's responsibility to make the visual assessment and accept the sample or not, or whether I am somehow being expected to know whether my sample is dilute or not, which I have no way of doing.

Thank you...
    UABOB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2015, 08:28 PM
    I am a former Urine monitor/ lab analyst. Dilution is fairly common. With the amount of liquids a busy individual may consume though out a day, it is impossible to accurately keep your levels at a certain level, other than prohibiting yourself from drinking every time you are thirsty. This is not ideal. In testing office, many of the monitors can visually tell if a sample is dilute, simply by appearance. However, if they are sending it out for testing, they may feel it is the actual laboratories responsibility to evaluate the sample with their equipment. If the test is a simple dipstick test done in person, at that time they will tell you if the sample is not going to work and may retest for assurance purposes and then send it in for an official test. Many laws, and procedures have changed in the time since I left that position, and requirements vary from state to state. If you are truly concerned, speak with your case manager about water consumption and your hydration needs. A simple creatine supplement may improve your chances of providing a valid sample. Best of luck to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2015, 08:37 PM
    The test for diluted is in the lab, the visual is merely a guideline when taking the test. And yes a diluted sample is often decided as a failure.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 29, 2015, 09:09 PM
    Relax, appears they missed it at collection point. That happens, but the issue you deal with is not be over hydrated before a test. Even if they had retested on the spot chances are the results would have been the same.

Talk to your case manager as was suggested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

DrBill100 - EtG really so overhyped? Now baffled: lab says 3 drinks=20-24hrs. EtG? [ 7 Answers ]

Dr.Bill, I have been researching both the validity and dangers of false positives and negatives of this test as it is used for criminal, employment, and child custody reasons. In addition to the variant cut-offs, incidental exposures, etc. I am flabbergasted by the amount of conflicting info out...

Does the saliva swab ETG alcohol test show back to 80 hours like the Urine ETG test ? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard when it's the oral swab it only tests back 12 to 24 hours for alcohol anyone know?

Will I pass my ETG test if I drank two 40z beers on Friday test is on Monday [ 2 Answers ]

I had 1 and 1/2 40 oz beers ( Thurs) finished at 2am Fri. Then drank the rest of the 1/2 40oz Friday finished at 4 pm.. Will I pass my EtG on Monday at 7pm?

How long does it take to get an EtG test back from the lab? [ 3 Answers ]

How long will it take to get a EtG test back from the lab? I took it on Friday morning at 7AM... please let me know, thank you!

While expressing EtG as a ratio to creatinine is not affected by dilution. [ 1 Answers ]

"while expressing EtG as a ratio to creatinine is not affected by dilution. " I am also confused about this statement. I below you stated the persons drinking incident was long enough before the test to not be detected and he shouldn't have to worry about diluting. My question is what if the...

View more questions Search