Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MollyGodiva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2015, 03:03 PM
    What are the grounds for appeal a default judgment in magistrate court?
    I filed a suit in magistrate (small claims) against a former landlord who did not return my security deposit. She called me to acknowledge the suit, but did not file a respond and I received a default judgement. She appealed.

I am wondering what happens next. Does she automatically get a second chance to defend my original suit or does she first have to show why the default judgment should be set aside? What are the grounds for setting aside a default judgment? This is under Pennsylvania law.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 28, 2015, 03:35 PM
    I don't know what specifically the Pennsylvania law is on this; but generally in most areas the issue is going to be decided according to an "excusable neglect" test: i.e.: whether the reason the landlord didn't respond to the suit is a reasonable excuse. Did the landlord indicate why she didn't respond?

And yes, the default will probably not be ignored; she will have to show why it should be disregarded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Appeal default judgment Pennsylvania no notice [ 1 Answers ]

I received a default judgment against me from a magistrate court in Pennsylvania. I had answered the original complaint with an intent do defend but never received notice from the court regarding the date for trial. I called the court and the clerk told me they sent it regular mail, not certified,...

I want to know if I have grounds for appeal [ 1 Answers ]

Suspended sine die from 28/02/20011with no review under 5 years ) from all football &football management the commission took into account a previous decision relating to mr gilbertson not sending off & reporting two players clarke & sheridan gilbertson ) for violent conduct during a on 09/03/08 ...

How to a file a Stay upon Appeal in Family Court after judgment is on pending appeal? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is a form for filing a Stay on Appeal that can be used while being in pro per?

Requesting to set aside default judgment in California supre court, san diego [ 1 Answers ]

I am desperate. I need to do a Motion to set aside judgment in san diego, superior court, and don't know where to get the Form. My hearing will be in march 26.. I did not do anything wrong, I am not citizen, don't know about law, but the maanager told a lie about me, and the compnay ask the judge...

Right to appear in court before a default judgment is entered against me [ 3 Answers ]

Do I have the right to appear in court before a default judgment is entered against me

View more questions Search