Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Parkershirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2015, 09:19 AM
    FIFA lien
    I have a house that I let go back to the owner because I filed it on a bankruptcy that has been discharged in 2009. The county taxes have not been paid and they are filing a judgement against my name for the back taxes can they do this? If the property was filed on Bankruptcy can they charge me the taxes?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 29, 2015, 09:26 AM
    The Bankruptcy Code provides, in pertinent part
    "11 U.S.C. § 523
    (a) A discharge under section 727, 1141, 1228(a), 1228(b), or 1328(b) of this title does not discharge an individual debtor from any debt - (1) for a tax or a customs duty - (A) of the kind and for the periods specified in section 507(a)(3) or 507(a)(8) of this title, whether or not a claim for such tax was filed or allowed ..."

"[section 509 (a)] ...
    (8) Eighth, allowed unsecured claims of governmental units, only to the extent that such claims are for - (A) ... (B) a property tax incurred before the commencement of the case and last payable without penalty after one year before the date of the filing of the petition ..."

So yes, they probably can. However in many places the tax will be a lien on the property, and not a debt owed by the owner personally.

Also, while it may be time-barred by the pertinent statue of limitations, I would guess that they are filing within the SOL.

What will probably happen is that the current owner of the property will redeem it before it goes to sale, by paying the tax, penalty, and interest. When that happens, you will be off the hook. Or if, for some reason, the owner fails to redeem it, the county will sell it and the tax debt will be paid-off from the proceeds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have fifa,his mortgage co is foreclosing,who pays the fifa [ 0 Answers ]

I have a fifa, the defendant has a mobile home that his mortgage co is repossessing.. is the mortgage company responsible for paying the fifa, which is recorded in his county.fi

Find a fifa lien [ 0 Answers ]

How can I find out who put a FIFA lien on my property? How can I contact them to verify that the lien is correct?

How do I get rid of FiFA Lien against property? [ 4 Answers ]

Would like to find a to get rid of FiFa lien in Fulton County, GA. The lien is against my home and I cannot refinance because of it. All help appreciated.

View more questions Search