Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Parks Jewelers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2015, 04:05 PM
    Garnishment
    If your company payroll is out of Texas, but you work offshore in the Gulf... Can your wages be garnished?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 27, 2015, 05:12 PM
    Yes, your pay can be garnished.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 27, 2015, 06:01 PM
    Depends upon where a lawsuit against you is filed. It's my understanding that Texas courts cannot garnish wages. But if you are sued in another state, it's probable that your employer would have to honor a garnishment writ from the courts of that state
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2015, 06:08 AM
    Texas law prohibits garnishing wages for consumer debt. So it would depend on what the debt is for. If you paychecks are issued from Texas, and if the debt is one that is allowable, then yes garnishment is possible.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 28, 2015, 06:53 AM
    One example of an entity that can garnish wages, even in TX: the IRS. They can even do it without first getting a judgment.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 28, 2015, 07:54 AM
    So, bottom line, if it is a Texas state court (or federal court with diversity jurisdiction; but since this is in "small claims", that's not likely) judgment for consumer debt , OP would be safe from wage garnishment. The fact that OP works offshore has absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment [ 5 Answers ]

Can creditors garnish CPP Disability and LTD payments? I get my LTD payments from my employer and was subsequently approved for CPP. As a result of my disability I am able to work and an now receiving half of my salary which is barely enough to live on. I am being harassed and threatened by...

Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

How do I locate somebody's new employer to reestablish garnishment or who they bank with

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Garnishment [ 4 Answers ]

The government is starting to garnish my wages for student loans. Do I have any options or am I royally screwed?

View more questions Search