Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hulagirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Pooping puppy
    Our puppy is 9 weeks old... we have had her for a week. Unfortunately, she has been pooping in her crate the last 3 nights. I am not sure if this is separation anxiety as she sleeps in the crate with our other dog (they are both small and sleeping together has caused her not to whine at night). She gets fed in the morning and we always let her out at night before bed (around 10). I know NOTHING about puppies, we got our other dog from the pound and she was about 10 months old. Will this stop with time or am I doing something wrong?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Make sure she walks around on her last trip outside for the night. Walking stimulates the body. It is common for a new puppy to have a few accidents in its crate, but it is possible she may have developed bad habits from poor care before you got her.

You should be feeding her 3 times a day until she is 3 months old.

There is some good material for a new puppy owner in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...man-53153.html
    hulagirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Thank you for the info regarding new puppies. Actually, we separated the puppy from our 3 year old dog and found out that it was our 3 year old dog that was doing the pooping! I could not believe it. She has never done this before. She happily plays with the puppy all day... could she be jealous? We really don't pay more attention to the puppy! We always pet the older dog too and tell her she's a good girl. What do you think?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2007, 06:01 PM
    It usually takes a dog a while to accept a new dog in the family. You are correct in continuing to give the old dog plenty of attention. It is possible you haven't given it the leadership it needs. A top dog have the right to bring in new pack members. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy still pooping in crate [ 11 Answers ]

All right, so I wrote a few months ago about my problems with my puppy pooping in his crate. He is now over 6 months old and still doing it. I am quite sure that he has never really bonded with his crate and I do not know how to remedy this. He does not have accidents inside the house (besides the...

Lab puppy pooping in crate [ 3 Answers ]

We have 2 female chocolate lab puppies - one is 9 mo and fully trained, the other is 3 mo and learning. The 3 mo old is great when out - she doesn't have accidents in the house, she goes outside, but as soon as she is crated - she poops her crate. She will poop outside before we put her in the...

Puppy pooping in crate [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 9-week old Golden Retriever. She sleeps in a crate next to our bed and is a gem: quiet, doesn't soil or pee. When we leave her alone (for only 2 hours maximum at this point), she has been consistently pooping/soiling her crate. It seems like separation anxiety or perhaps some form of...

Puppy pooping in crate [ 22 Answers ]

My 10 week old puppy is doing really well with training during the day, but he poops (sometimes twice a night) in his crate. His last meal of the day is at 6:45 and he usually poops twice before he goes to bed at 11:00. We get up at 3 am to take him out and he has usually gone by then. He has...

View more questions Search