Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pueblogold Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2013, 06:30 PM
    No Voltage output on Champion C46535 Generator
    Hello,
    I have acquired a Champion C46535 4000 watt peak Generator from a family member. He bought the generator new for his rv and used it one season and it worked fine. He put it in his shed and when he took it out next season and started it up it did not produce voltage. He is not mechanically inclined whatsoever so he just bought a new one and gave me the old one. I know it is not a high quality generator by no standard but it would be fine for me to run a few lights during a power outage or something similar. I am a marine engineer, and have a decent electrical understanding but this has me stumped, so I would like some help. This is what I have found:
    The generator produces about 8.6vac when running. It also produces about 8vdc from the 12v receptacle. I first thought that the generator may need to be flashed, so I done that by applying 12v to the brushes but no success. I also tried other methods for flashing by using the drill method (dont laugh, you'll try anything once right.. haha) etc. but all with no success. I called Champion and after speaking with a technician on the phone he suggested buying a new AVR, so I did that but I still get the same results. (8.6vac). I got a troubleshooting sheet from champion, it stated to check the resistance of the rotor by checking across the slip rings. I am supposed to get 45 to 55ohms and I got 54 so that appears in spec. I metered the stator windings using both a ohm meter and a megger but the stator appears fine, no short circuits, open circuit to ground, etc. I checked the 2 yellow wires going into the avr, and I get about 5vac with the engine running. I applied 12vdc directly to the brushes with the avr disconnected but do not see any output still, even though it is suggested that I should see 50 to 60Vac. The brushes are in perfect shape and the slip rings are clean. Visually the rotor and stator appear as good as new, very clean and no signs of getting hot, no smell either. The entire unit inside and out looks like it was just bought, no scratches, dirt, anything. The one thing I do find odd though is that when I apply 12vdc to the brush assembly with the AVR disconnected, nothing happens other then a little "Spark" when I connect the leads to the battery, however when I connect the AVR to the brushes wthout the 12vcs connected the generator "cuts down" as if it were loaded but still 8.6vac at the terminals. If I check the voltage at the brushes with the engine running and avr connected I seem to get 115Vdc, this also strikes me odd. I would like to get this unit working but I feel I am not getting anywhere. If I can't fix this myself I will have to give up on it as servicing it by a professional would surely cost more then a new one of these. I would appreciate any help,
    Thanks in advance!
    rdavison39 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2013, 03:53 PM
    I have the same problem. Machine appears almost new - worked fine last summer but when I tried it this spring no power. Any suggestions to troubleshoot welcome
    paulwright8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2013, 10:28 AM
    Please call us at champion fulfillment and we can definitely help you if you have a Champion C46535. Call us at 800-950-9566 and ask for Paul Wright-there will be no charge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC generator no output [ 3 Answers ]

New ac wind gen has no output. Coil has become slightly magnatized. Is this my problem or have I missed something else?

Generator voltage output too low [ 2 Answers ]

I have this 10 month old SDMO 6KVA (3.8KW) generator (with Yanmar LE100 diesel engine) which has worked OK until recently. All of a sudden I noticed that the output voltage is nowhere near the rated 230volts. On no load it measures about 210 volts and drops to about 170-180volts when loaded to...

Reduction in Generator Output Voltage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a 7KVA (5.8 KW) diesel generator to back up my solar system. The generator is brand new but when I run it the lights in the house flicker rapidly. Also as soon as I pull more than 4.4 kw load, the output from the generator drops from 230V to 205V and the generator runs erratically. I have...

Most output from generator [ 6 Answers ]

I plan on buying a portable generator to hook up my house for emergency power, going to instal a manual transfer switch. I was wondering most generators have numerous outlets on them do I have to rewire the panel on the generator to get max output or does the 240 receptacle put out the max, I plan...

View more questions Search