Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lecoulee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2013, 11:40 AM
    My old ballast has one black, one white, and one blue wire only
    I have an old 3 door cooler. The lights have recently gone out and I think the ballasts are the cause. I ordered replacement ballasts from the same company the old ballasts were from. The old Ballasts have one black, one white, and one blue wire. The new Ballasts have the same, but also a red wire. Not sure what to do with the red. The cooler has 2 lights with a switch on each light. There are also starters for each light. Yellow wires go to the switch and the starters, but not to the ballasts. Just wondering if anyone can help me determine where the red wire would hook into. Thank you!
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2013, 03:52 PM
    There is a wiring diagram on most ballasts...
    Do these new ballasts also have diagrams? If not,
    Did they come with any information?
    lecoulee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2013, 04:05 PM
    Hello. The wiring diagram shows how to wire the ballast using the black, white, blue and red wires. The problem I ran into is that there is no red wire in the fixtures at all. The lights have black and white wires running from the top of the light fixture to the bottom of the light fixture/switch. The ballast company said the ballasts they sent me were the replacement ballasts for that old model number. I did try hooking the red wire into one of the yellow wires and the light flashed on for a second. I'm stumped. Thanks for your help!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2013, 04:14 PM
    The 3 wire ballast should have a diagram with 3 wires.
    Look at the Diagram on the New Ballast and connect as shown.
    Don't try to wire the New Ballast with the old Ballasts' wiring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect 3 wire black white bare to 4 wire black red white green [ 3 Answers ]

Fits 220 volt the wires are described in the title. Can someone tell me the proper way to connect them?

I kneed to figure the wire sequence on a pullchain with black,white,red & blue wires [ 1 Answers ]

I replacing a pull chain on my ceiling fan with one from the local hardware store as one is not available from the manufacturer, it is a 4 wire 3 speed pull chain with L& 1,2,3 I need to figure the wire sequence on a pulchain with black,white,red & blue wires, also the old pull chain was letters...

How do I hook up to a ballast and line with only 2 blue wires and 1 black & 1 white? [ 5 Answers ]

My older display case has a fluorescent light fixture in it, but only has a white wire, a black wire, and two blue wires. How do I hook up a ballast and connect to a line?

How to install a ceiling fan with only a black, blue and white wire no green [ 2 Answers ]

How to install a ceiling fan with only a blue, blac, and white wire with no green, the ceiling has a bare or copper wire, a red, white, and black wire

Blue wire connected to white or black? [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a Hampton bay ceiling fan but no installation manual. Does the blue wire get connected to the white or black house wire?

View more questions Search