Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladysmithavon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 04:11 PM
    HOT WATER for 3 minutes; then turns COLD
    I live in a condo and have an electric hot water heater. Every time I need to wash clothes or use the dishwasher, the hot water never comes out. However, when I turn the hot water on in the bathroom upstairs in the tub, it will be hot for 2 minutes then turn cold the entire time. The hot water works fine in the kitchen sink. What could be the problem? I have no clue.

Example: for the first time today, I arrived home from work, turn the shower on, the water starts hot and then turns cold after 2 minutes. (mind you this was the first time today that I demanded water)
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Likely your bottom element is out. Or the dip tube.
    jaisen Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 02:35 PM
    doug238 is right but I always change out the bottom and top element. Remember to drain the water and don't dry start it... note
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2007, 08:28 PM
    A top element typically lasts twice as long as the bottom element. I usually only change the bottom on the first trip. If I go back and find they have previously done this I change both explaining why.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2007, 09:35 PM
    If you have had any trash show up in your aerators the first thing to check is the dip tube that mentioned above. Unless you have a very small water heater, if so then check the elements, if there are two, if not you will only have one element at the bottom of the heater.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New water heater, hot water in shower only lasts 3 minutes [ 40 Answers ]

I have been in this apartment 6 months and have never been able to have a warm shower longer than 3 minutes. I told my landlord and he replaced the water heater. But that didn't solve the problem. So he had a plumber come over and the plumber said maybe the water heater was defective. But then he...

2 minutes of hot water & then turns cold [ 3 Answers ]

Dear all, I bought a condo a week back and there seems to be this problem of us not having hot water from any of the outlets for more than a minute or 2. Our water heater runs on gas and there doesn't seem to be any problem with the air, which is heating up the house all right. Kindly help!...

Hot water in shower for about 2 minutes then gets cold [ 3 Answers ]

My shower starts hot for about 2 - 3 minutes then starts turing cold. Hot water in bathroom sink is still hot when I check it out after shower goes cold. I have three handles on the shower. They are old maybe 25 -35 years old. Just started a few weeks ago.

Hot Water for only about 2 minutes [ 2 Answers ]

My hot water heater is about 2 years old. The other day I noticed there was no hot water in the shower. I discovered that the switch in the electrical fuse box had tripped, so I reset it and turned it back on. Since then when I take a shower, I only get lukewarm water which lasts for only about...

Hot water for about 10 minutes [ 1 Answers ]

My shower only stays hot for about 10 minutes, at the most. Do you have any suggestions? By the way, my water heater is electric. Thanks.

View more questions Search