Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Swetha Shetty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 06:15 PM
    H1 status, can I claim EIC and Child Tax Credit
    Hello,

I came to US for the first time on April 17th 2006.

My son was born in India on July 24th. My wife and my son later joined me in US on Dec 5th 2006

My gross income for the finanicial Year 2006 was around 24000/-

Can you please let me know what would be my tax filing status, would we be eligible to claim EIC and Child Tax credit.

Regards,

Veeranna
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Veeranna:

You can file jointly with your wife and both choose to be treated as resident aliens. You can file immediately.

Your child will be eligible for the Child Tax Credit, but NOT the EIC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child / Dependent Care Credit - H1/H4 Status [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the US on an H1, and my spouse in on an H4. We have a 3-year old daughter who is a US citizen. We send her to a private pre-school that costs quite a bit of money. Can this amount be claimed under the Child / Dependent Care credit ? Thanks

Filing status, child credit, which form? [ 4 Answers ]

HI, I have been living in US right from the 1st Jan 2006 on L-1 Visa. My wife(not working) and minor daughter (3 year) joined me in US on 17th June 2006 and still with me here in US(effectively they stayed with me in US 6.5 months in year 2006). My income sources are only wages and $41 as bank...

Child tax credit :child on H-4 came August 2006 , [ 1 Answers ]

Hi atlanta tax guru I am on h-1 ( entered in June 2006) wife & son entered ( on h-4) August 2006 I am filing as resident alien as I passed test, Wife & son entered 19th August 2006 , are they pass test after 6 months Is it valid to call them resident alien after 19 feb 2007 ? And will...

Child Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

My Wife, and 14 month Daughter is living with me in California and are on H4 Visa. Since they do not have a SSN , can I still claim my child for 'Child Tax Credit'. I am filling under Married Filling Jointly. Also Is there any other way I can get Tax Credits for my Daughter other than...

Can I claim Tax credit for paying wife's tution on H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am on H1-b visa since last 2 years and my wife is on h-4. My wife went to school during 2006 and I paid the tution for her. I called up the university to get a 1098T form but the university denied as she is on H-4. So my question is whether I can claim her tution fees as a deductible while...

View more questions Search