Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CICI55 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 10:28 AM
    Can you be arrested when charged with fraud
    I worked at aretail store where I would put money on gift cards and use them. It was only a few hundred and they left me a message saying they were filing charges. What charges can they file and can I be arrested. I am former employee and they did not contact me until I was a fromer employee so is it possible for me to be arrested, because I have just been dodging there phone calls and letting my answer machine pick them up. They want me to come into the store and talk in person but I am afraid if I do that then they will arrest me because its in a different town then I live in.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 17, 2012, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CICI55 View Post
    I worked at aretail store where I would put money on gift cards and use them. It was only a few hundred and they left me a message saying they were filing charges. What charges can they file and can I be arrested. I am former employee and they did not contact me until I was a fromer employee so is it possible for me to be arrested, because I have just been dodging there phone calls and letting my answer machine pick them up. They want me to come into the store and talk in person but I am afraid if I do that then they will arrest me because its in a different town then I live in.
    Sure they can call the police and file charges... the police decide if you will be arrested pending trial...

Of course they will have to prove you did it to the court before you could be convicted... and you don't have to go to the store to be arrested... the police can have an arrest warrant issued... and you would be considered a fugative. Might be arrested at a traffic stop... two states away if they run your ID for warrants..

If you can scrape up the money, hire a lawyer to do all the talking for you... even if you didn't do it. Might save a lot of time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
    Yes of course, they call the police and report the crime, They show the dectives the evidence and then normally this goes to the DA and is presented to the GRAND JURY. They then issue a warrant for your arrest, When arrested the next morning you appear in court and have the charges read to you, and bail set.

The real issue is you don't seem to think of this as a serious crime and don't seem to understand you can go to jail for this.

They may first ( DA decides) file a separate charge ( different crime) for each card you did.
    So if you did 10 or 15 cards just for 40 dollars, they can charge you with 10 or 15 different charges. Or they may make it one charge. Depending on how many 100's, is how serious the punishment.
    CICI55 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
    Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.
    I have never been in trouble with the law but how mcuh do you think it will cost for a lawyer forthis kind of case.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 17, 2012, 02:51 PM
    A lot depends on how good the Lawyer is (better is usually more expensive)... and what the going rate in your area is. That can vary greatly reflected by the cost of living in the region.

Its not going to be cheap in any case. You are actually going to have to call a few in your town to find out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arrested but never charged? [ 5 Answers ]

My young sister is involved with a guy who has recently been in trouble with the law. He is out on bail and has a court date and yet says he was never charged. He was arrested but never charged. Could this be true? Am I wrong in thinking that if you are on bail to appear in court you must have been...

I was arrested for fraud [ 5 Answers ]

I was charged for fraud, however I was never convicted, nor did I make a plea. I didn't go to court and the charges were dropped. Can this prevent me from getting a job as a Registered nurse in a hospital? I am licensed by the state of Florida but I am scared to apply??

Arrested and charged with aggravated assault. What should I do now? [ 7 Answers ]

Got into a fight with my daughter and was arrested and charged. She lives in my house, does not work, lets her boyfriend spend the night and feeds him my food, and is very disrepectful. I am a full-time college student studying for a Bachelor's degree in criminal justice, I work full time as a...

In charged of fraud under $5000 will you be arrested? [ 2 Answers ]

I am being investigated for fraud under $5000 and the insurance company has not been nice. I made a stupid mistake and I just want to pay everything back. They are taking their time (the insurance company) on making a decision. I have not been charged with anything at this time and when I ask if...

Charged/Convicted/Arrested [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Recently I was charged (given form 9 for appearance in court and fingerprinted) for theft under at Toronto CA (my first offence in my life, I am adult). In first appear I was asked to meet one community service lady, as per instruction I donated the money to charity and produce the receipt...

View more questions Search