Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cardomb Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 07:17 PM
    100 amp sub panel wire size
    I now have the 100 amp breaker installed in my load panel. I will run wiring from the load panel to a 100 amp sub-panel in an unground 80 schedule PVC. I believe I need to use #2 wire for the hots and the neutral. If this is correct, then what size ground do I use? Number 6? The sub- panel will be 50 feet from the main load panel.
    BWF Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cardomb
    I now have the 100 amp breaker installed in my load panel. I will run wiring from the load panel to a 100 amp sub-panel in an unground 80 schedule PVC. I believe I need to use #2 wire for the the hots and the neutral. If this is correct, then what size ground do I use? Number 6? The sub- panel will be 50 feet from the main load panel.
    A 100 main circuit breaker gets #4 wire (NEC), Codes are set by the AHJ authority having jurisdiction.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Just to be clear, minimum size wire for a residential feeder is #4 Copper wire, or # 2 Aluminum wire, for hts and neutral.

The equipment ground can be #8 Copper or #6 Aluminum.

The distance is minimal, so voltage drop will not be an issue with either wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

Condo/Apt. New 100 amp service - BX wire size? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi All! I currently have an old 40 amp service in my pre-war condo. We are allowed to run BX securely attached for a new service. The distance is 250 feet. I am looking to get a 100 amp service. What size BX cable should be used for this? Do they make BX large enough for a 250 foot 100 amp...

100 amp sub-panel [ 3 Answers ]

Can I put a 100 amp sub-panel in my attic? My attic has pull down stairs and is unfinished. I was hoping I can put a sub in my attic to make it easier for numerous runs I have to do on the second floor. I want to be up to code and do not want any issues with homeowners insurance. Thanks, mike

Secondary 100 Amp Feeder Wire Size [ 3 Answers ]

Hello to all. I am running a feeder wire in 2" conduit from my 100 amp breaker in my house panel to my 100 amp garage panel approximately 160' away. I am wondering if #1-#1-#2 Aluminum is sufficient with a #6 Copper ground. Thanks for the help.

Wire size in a 100 amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if a 2/0 wire will fit in a siemens 100 breaker? Thanks for your help

View more questions Search