Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GREENVIPER1221 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 05:16 PM
    Why is my dog pooping so much
    My 1 year old miniture schnauzer has been biting plastic toys and has been getting in a lot of trouble. The funny thing is he's been pooping in his crate for the past two weeks almost twice a day. Please help and tell me why or and possible suggestions although I wold not ike to get rid of my dog. Help please!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 06:48 PM
    How is he gaining access to the plastic toys he's been "biting"? How is he getting into trouble if he's crated? Is this happening when you're home, and supposed to be watching him?

How long have you had him? How did you crate train him, potty train him? Has anything changed in the household? Is he walked daily, especially before he's put into the crate?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2012, 07:39 PM
    What do you feed him? Beneful, Kibbles n Bits, Ol Roy or any other type of grocery brand food is full of lots of fillers and will make dogs poop more. Just like humans, dogs' digestive tracts change and the food he's been eating for a long time, is starting to fight back with him resulting in the excessive defecations.

Another thing could be Separation anxiety. Him poopin in his crate is him protesting that you left him home alone... or alone in a room. Separation anxiety comes in many forms; destructive behavior, excessive elimination, whinning and barking and salivating... Although your dog's behavior is annoying, be thankful he hasn't progressed to the destructive phase.

Separation anxiety dogs need to be worked. Either obedience or agility works. They also need to be tired. Let your dog RUN. Tired dogs are happy dogs. Dogs with structure in their lives and a solid routine, are happy dogs. Separation anxiety is not something you can cure.. it's a disease you just deal with. Some dogs do better living in a home with more than one dog.

Be careful with giving your dog toys he can chew and swallow. Blockages are not fun to deal with and can get very expensive. All it takes is for your dog to eat too much for a blockage to appear.
    celticfc Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2012, 03:43 AM
    Does he eat a limited amount of kibble on a schedule or is he free fed? What brand of kibble are you feeding? Do you ever slip him table scraps or are other people in your household guilty of doing so? Are his stools solid or soft/liquid? Excersice encourages bowel movements and often makes them looser do you take him out for a walk before putting him in his crate? How is he getting into trouble is it a big problem? how is he getting the plastic ttoys if he is crated? Separation anxiety would be my first guess and it is a big problem in a proggresing number of dogs.how long do you keep I'm in his crate for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is dog pooping in house now that we have another dog? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a five year old boxer who is pooping in the house now that we have another dog. He seems to be jealous, although he kind of likes having her there it seems. He did it a few times even when we were home, which is very unlike him. Any ideas how to break him of it? I hate to crate him and...

Dog died and other dog is peeing and pooping inside house now [ 6 Answers ]

We currently lost one of our dogs quite sudden, she was a 11 year sheppard/lab. We also have a yorki/pom/poo who is only 2 1/2 years old. Since our old dog died, our other dog has reverted back to peeing and pooping in the house. When our other dog was alive they went outside together and this...

Dog pooping too much [ 0 Answers ]

I'm fostering a min-pin dashound mix and she's pooping 5 to 7 times a day, she's being treated for giardia, could this be the problem?

My 4 yr old dog is pooping? [ 5 Answers ]

My 4 year old chocolate lab has been pooping in the house while my husband and I are at work. It began a month or so ago and has happened a few times each week. She was not pooping in the morning so we changed her meal times and began feeding her a small amount of food in the morning about a week...

Dog not pooping [ 4 Answers ]

Last week my dog was having having extremely runny BM. He was waking us up two times a night to let him out and he was producing a lot of poop, though in the day he produced little poop and more mucus. We went to the vet after three days and they did not find any parasities. They did prescibe...

View more questions Search