Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timeforchg Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
    Vectors Maths
    The position of a particle at time, t, during the time interval t = 0 and t = 1, is given by the co-ordinates

Find the following at time, t:

1) Velocity of the particle
    2) speed
    3)distance traveled from t=0 to t=1
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Feb 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
    okay, we have

1) velocity is just the change in each of the coordinates over the change in time, so we have

2) speed is just the change in distance traveled over the change in time. If you notice it's just the pythagorean theorem with our derivatives.

3) total distance traveled is just the integration of our speed over the time in question, in this case, from 0 to 1.

I hope this helps.

Feb 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
    Wow. That was fast :)

What if the question asked for I)the acceleration, ii) unit tangent, iii)radius of curvature and principal normal ?

*what do they mean by principal normal?

Thanks appreciate your prompt reply.
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Feb 16, 2012, 06:06 PM
    A few things we will need:

i) acceleration (and velocity for that matter) is a lot like what it would be for single variable calculus, it's just the double derivative of the position function.

ii) unit tangent. Since velocity is really just speed and a direction, think of the unit tangent as the velocity with the speed part "taken out".

iii) Principal normal. Since the tangent is a line in a three dimensional space, there are an infinite number of lines that are perpendicular to it ( the tangent). The principal normal is the particular line that is perpendicular to the tangent and is pointing towards the inside of the curve.

All it is is the derivative of , which is

(quotient rule)

Curvature is how much the function curves at a given spot. (i know you didn't ask, but I'm telling you anyway) Curvature is just the magnitude of the principal normal. Which is:

And radius of convergence is just the radius of a circle with the same curvature at a given point. That's computed by just taking the reciprocal of the curvature.

I hope this helps :)

Feb 18, 2012, 07:25 AM
    Your steps are very clear.. Thanks for explaining! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vectors [ 4 Answers ]

Q. If a rigid body is rotating about an axis passing through the point 2i^-j^-k^ and parallel to I^-2j^+2k^ with an angular velocity 3 radians/sec, then find the velocity of the point of the rigid body whose position vector is 2i^+3j^-4k^. a) -2i^+3j^+4k^ b) 2i^-3j^+4k^ c) -2i^+3j^-4k^ d)...

Vectors [ 1 Answers ]

A man walks 18.5 km west, 24.0 km at 30 degrees northwest and then 12.0 km north. Show that the order of adding the vectors does not affect the resultant (to demonstrate make two diagrams for this). What is his resultant displacement? What distance did he walk?

Vectors- tension problem (application of addition of vectors) [ 1 Answers ]

An electronic score board of mass 500 kg is suspended from a ceiling making an angle of 70 degrees with the ceiling.The weight is evenly distributed. Determine the tension in the cables in newtons

Linearly dependent vectors maths [ 2 Answers ]

Given vectors |u|=20, |v|=15, |x|=6, A) Write vector x as linear combination of vector u and vector v ^ ^ B) Express vector x as a linear combination of the unit vectors u and v

Vectors maths [ 1 Answers ]

Show that three of the vectors u=(1,1,-1), v=(-1,1,1), w=(1,3,-1), x=(1,1,0) form a basis for space and express the fourth vector as a linear combination of these basis vectors.

View more questions Search