Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmvpp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2011, 08:26 PM
    Sewer trap cap
    Hi,

Last week we had a clogged main. The main pipe access is down at the sump pit in the basement and the plumber couldn't open the caps (very old pipe, never opened before). Eventually he just drilled a hole on the cap to get the snake in and cleaned. After that, we just kind of use a plastic bag to cover the hole. Do I really need to seal the hole with something? I don't smell any odor from the hole and somehow I think it is a good idea to leave it like that because if the next time it backs up again, the water would come out from the hole which is in the pit which can hold probably 20-30 gals of water instead of backing up from the toilet in the basement like last time which made a mess... Or am I wrong? Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2011, 10:13 PM
    How big is the hole? You could possibly tap it with a 3/4 or 1" pipe tap and thread in a plug. Or, put in a pipe nipple and a cap.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 25, 2011, 05:54 AM
    Let me see if I understand your problem. By cap do you mean the cover on a clean out tee and instead of removing the cover he simply drilled through the brass cap? Is that correct? Please explain "caps".
    One things for sure. You can't leave the hole open. But before I tell you how to repair and cover the hole I have to know exactly where he drilled it. Please post back with more details. Tom
    pete6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2011, 02:02 PM
    The cap should be and can be completely removed. By putting a plastic bag over it your sewage will be all over that room if it backs up again. I would remove all of the old cap and replace it with a new one from the lumber yard about 4 or 5 bucks.
    mmvpp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2011, 03:08 PM
    Hope the pics work...
    There are two caps (openings) to the main down at the pit... I think it is a U? The guy spent an hour and couldn't open the cap, so he actually cut (sorry, not drill) a hole and then cleaned it and I am not sure if I should get it sealed or it is OK to just cover it with a plastic sheet or bag... people say there could be sewer gas or something?

http://i43.tinypic.com/2qk6mv6.jpg

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 25, 2011, 03:28 PM
    The cap should be replaced or the hole sealed. If there is a hub, you could buy Jim Cap and install it over the hub. In any case, the hole cannot stay the way it is now and has to be sealed. Milo
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 26, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Looks like a threaded cleanout plug to me. I would remove the rest of the plug and use an expansion plug of the correct size in its place. An expansion plug of the correct size will seal the cleanout nicely, and also be much easier to remove in the future for snaking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find my sewer clean out cap? [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved to a house that the sewer backs up into the tubs and toilets,and I have looked for a clean out cap but can't find one,the house has a cement slab... any help would be apprieciated.. thnks andy

Sears kenmore furnace - where is the maintenace cap for the condensate trap? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm supposed to pour vinegar in monthly to prevent mold buildup.Gas-fired 95% efficiency model

How do I cap a sewer clean out? [ 13 Answers ]

About 3 months ago I had a break in a sewer line repaired. At the same time they added a curbside clean out access-not sure why because I already have one in the basement... the problem is this: My house is about 30 feet above street level so the pipe has a pretty steep descent to street level....

Cap fell in sewer trap [ 3 Answers ]

my sewer trap has two vertical pipes with two caps,one a little smaller than the other. I recently unclogged the drain by opening both caps. The smaller cap apparently fell into the larger pipe(hole)It is now causing a minor blockage which I have to clear everyday with a piece of wire. I can't see...

Sewer end cap ejects? [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and while I was doing some yard work in the front, I noticed a partially uncovered plastic lid on a plastic pipe. It had a whole bunch of toilet paper around it but I never noticed it as it was under a large bush. At first, I didn't know what it was, so I just placed the cap...

View more questions Search