Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shadowmasteraz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2011, 06:16 AM
    ETG Alcohol Testing -- Cutoff Levels
    Greetings. I'm working on a paper regarding drug and alcohol testing and got a little confused on the math (not for a science class obviously!). I was wondering if anyone could help me clarify one small point using the ETG test as an example.

Is a 50 cutoff level more or less sensitive than a 100 cutoff level?

Thanks

Dec 13, 2011, 06:26 AM
    Sorry, mistake -- that should have been 500 versus 100 -- my misstype.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2011, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmasteraz View Post
    Greetings. I'm working on a paper regarding drug and alcohol testing and got a little confused on the math (not for a science class obviously!). I was wondering if anyone could help me clarify one small point using the ETG test as an example.

Is a 50 cutoff level more or less sensitive than a 100 cutoff level?

Thanks
    The lower the number the more sensitive the test.

100 ng cutoff means it detects as few as 100 parts per billion whereas the 500 ng cutoff requires 500 pbb.

Dec 13, 2011, 08:28 AM
    Thanks Dr. Bill -- so theoretically, a 500 cutoff would (a) be less susceptible to false positives and (b) lessen the length of detectible time from the consumption of alcohol.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2011, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmasteraz View Post
    Thanks Dr. Bill -- so theoretically, a 500 cutoff would (a) be less susceptible to false positives and (b) lessen the length of detectible time from the consumption of alcohol.
    That is correct. 500 cutoff detects about 25% less (range 23-40) based on review of past test results. The time span hasn't been quantified but a guess can be made from some of the studies that have elimination graphs.

As to false positives the reduction is small and inadequate. Arizona for instance requires a cutoff of 2000.

Dec 13, 2011, 09:01 AM
    Thanks Dr. Bill -- and thanks for answering all of these questions. Looks like you're helping a lot of people out in an area that's quite nebulous! I wonder why they haven't done more studies on this in recent years as it would seem to me that a lot of people might be losing employment, kids, freedom, etc. with a test that might not have been fully vetted, especially when there is such a wide range of time frame, no standard cutoff level and with the aggressive "80 hour" marketing programs of the testing services.
    rvacalamity Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
    Avoid cover drinks with creatine and mucho b12 b6 vitamins help diluted pee be yellow
    rvacalamity Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
    Does drinking water and detoxing remove all EtG ets from digestive system or just cover it by urinating water?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EtG testing, non-alcoholic beer and creatine levels [ 17 Answers ]

I have been court ordered to participate in random EtG alcohol testing. During the times in which I was drinking alcohol, my EtG levels were consistently >10,000. I did not realize that "NA" beer might register a positive result on these tests until it happened to me! I have not had an alcoholic...

View more questions Search