Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dog_lover123 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 03:19 PM
    My 3 year old dog has started peeing in the house
    I've had my 3 year old dog since a pup and he was really well house-trained but for the past few months he's started peeing in the house I really don't know what to do, he's quite a nervous dog but he also doesn't like going outside in the rain its really hard to keep an eye on him all the time because he always finds a way to make a mess in the house, he just pees in his normal places but if we block him of he would start weeing in a new place.please help! Oh by the way he is a 3 year old cavalier king charles spainiel if that could be any help.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 12, 2011, 03:25 PM
    Have you taken him to the vet? He could have a urinary tract infection (uti).

Think hard. Is anything different around the house? -- new pet, new people, people have left home, new furniture, different smells, new carpet, major weather changes, lot of t'storms, etc.

Nov 22, 2011, 08:47 AM
    Ermmm there were a lot of fireworks going of and he's really really scared of them, he's vet check up if coming soon so I will ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 22, 2011, 09:25 AM
    You mentioned in another thread that your dog has fleas. I think this is a perfect time to make that appointment with the vet. Sometimes dogs who have flea infestations also have intestinal parasites (worms), your vet will be able to prescribe a great flea/worm treatment. I mentioned in your other thread that Revolution is a good product. Also make sure you are cleaning the areas with a good enzyme cleaner. I have always had great luck with a water and vinegar solution with a few drops of tea tree oil.

Persistence is key, if your dog will not go out because it's raining, then it's time to get out the rain jacket and stand there with him until he does his business. Lots of outdoor time, lots of exercise, giving him the opportunity do his business outdoors. Every time your dog eats, drinks or plays, it's time to go out side for a potty break. Use lots of positive reinforcement, lots of "good boys" when he does his business where you expect him to do it.

Dec 5, 2011, 09:21 AM
    Thank you. The only thing is that he's on regular Worming Tablets, and he's not ever missed a dose... His yearly Vet check reminder has come so I'm going to get him checked soon.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 5, 2011, 12:13 PM
    Ok great! Thanks for following up with us. How is he doing now?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We got a new dog and now my older one started peeing in the house. Please help! [ 3 Answers ]

Several months ago we got a new puppy. A pug. I have a 2 year old dog and she was perfectly house broken. Now, we notice that the older dog will pee in the house when we are not home. They are not big spots, but they still smell. We tried to clean the spots (it is kind of always in the same area)...

My dog has started peeing in the house [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is a 9 year old westie who we rescued when he was six he was well house trained until I found out I was pregnant with my 5th child and now he has started peeing on the spot he doesn't ask for the loo no more just pees where he stands please help as I love him so much and am worried its old...

Why Has My Dog Started Peeing Inside The House? [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 2 1/2 year old mix about 17lbs. We have had him since he was 6 weeks old and he was crated for the first 2 years. He is now out all day with free roam of the house. We are teachers and often gone for 9-10 hours, but he has never had a problem holding it this long before. We also take him...

Why has my dog started peeing in the house [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 week old beagle mix. She is crate trained and enjoys her crate even when we are home. She is house trained and will go to the door whenever she needs to go out. If she wakes up in the during the night she will whine to go out. Over the last week, she has just started peeing and pooping...

9 year old dog has started peeing on new carpet [ 2 Answers ]

Our 9 year old female dog has started peeing on new carpeting that has recently been put in the basement. She never goes anywhere else in the house and she only does it when we are gone or sleeping. She has a doggy door to go out side when ever she would like which is half way down the basement...

View more questions Search