Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carriecuoco Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2011, 12:47 PM
    Burke Tyree painting value
    I have a 30" x 24" "Lion, Kenya. Original Canvas. Burke Tyree 1972" hich I bought in Honolulu, Hawaii. Label on the back "Cory Gallery, San Francisco price $500".
    I researched the artist and he was known primarily for black velvet paintings.
    In his later years (1970's) he was interested in endangered species.
    He died at age 57 from a massive heart attack in 1979.
    Would you be able to tell me an approximate value for my painting in original frame?
    It's in excellent condition!
    It is very different from his other works which are tropical island ladies, birds, and plants and painted on black velvet.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 6, 2011, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecuoco View Post
    I have a 30" x 24" "Lion, Kenya. Original Canvas. Burke Tyree 1972" hich I bought in Honolulu, Hawaii. Label on the back "Cory Gallery, San Francisco price $500".
    I researched the artist and he was known primarily for black velvet paintings.
    In his later years (1970's) he was interested in endangered species.
    He died at age 57 from a massive heart attack in 1979.
    Would you be able to tell me an approximate value for my painting in original frame?
    It's in excellent condition!
    It is very different from his other works which are tropical island ladies, birds, and plants and painted on black velvet.
    No one can determine a value for artwork unless they have the piece in hand, and cannot be accomplished through this site. Suggest you find an art dealer in your own area if you think it has merit.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 6, 2011, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    No one can determine a value for artwork unless they have the piece in hand, and cannot be accomplished through this site. Suggest you find an art dealer in your own area if you think it has merit.
    Whoever didn't like this answer, my statement is perfectly true. Think about it. How does one evaluate a piece of artwork they can't see. How do you think art dealers assess.. by looking at every aspect pf the piece, back and front.
    carriecuoco Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2011, 07:20 PM
    I understand your answer about seeing the piece in person but I was not able to find an art dealer or appraiser in my area who is familiar with American painters circa 1950-1979. They are either modern and current gallery types or specialize in Cuban or Latin or Caribbean artists. That's why I posted on this website hoping to branch out from the Miami, FL area.
    Attached Images

smubarak Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 01:47 PM
    Is this a velvet? Obviously the value depends a lot on the condition especially for velvets. His animal paintings go for $400- $800. His south Pacific women for more.
    smubarak Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2011, 05:23 PM
    Are you interested in selling this painting?
    Scott

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burke Tyree [ 5 Answers ]

I have a painting labeled "Screech Owl" by Burke Tyree. On the back it says, "original oil, Burke Tyree 1975, G.A. 4919, Price $500.00, 18 x 24." How do I find it's value? Dan

I'm hoping to get a value & possibly sell a Velvet oil painting by Burke Tyree -1966 [ 0 Answers ]

I have a large velvet oil painting by artist Burke Tyree. It is titled "Native Back" and he wrote on the top left corner #4 which I believe to be a reference to a series of paintings. Also say's Original oil on velvet - No copies, No duplicates, Burke Tyree, 1966. In addition, there is a personal...

Burke tyree [ 7 Answers ]

Was wanting to know what a oil painting on Velvet by Ralph Burke Tyree of Hawiian girl partly clothed with back showing and dated 1976 would be worth?

Tyree Burke for sale [ 1 Answers ]

I have a velevet painting by tyree burke, "the mountaineer", I am interested in selling it. Best resonable offer. It is in excellent condition, only a little dusty.

View more questions Search