Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lanfarm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 03:12 PM
    How do I remove a Rainsoft water softener?
    Does anyone have any instructions on how to remove a RainSoft system from my house? Leaks, don't need it, and dealer wants over $3,000 to install a new one. Just want to get rid of it and put the plumbing back like it needs to be. Thanks
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 19, 2011, 03:50 PM
    Simply (ha ha, like anything is simple) shut of the water to the house, drain the pressure off the system, then cut the incoming and outgoing pipes from the softener, make sure to cut them at equal distance from softener. Next you will need to 90s of the correct size, and a short piece of piping to go between them. Basically, just hook the incoming of the softener, to the outgoing of the softener, and you will have bypassed the softener. You could just put the softener on bypass, but over time the valves tend to fail and you will have water leaking out of the softener connection points if the softener is removed. Hope this all makes sense, and Im betting one of the other pros here will be able to make it a little more clear.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2011, 03:53 PM
    There should be a bypass valve that allows water to directly flow through. Switch to bypass and if the leak stops, leave it like that. If it is still leaking you will need someone to disconnect the plumbing and insert a connector. This may be a DIY job depending on how it was installed. You may be able to install a 3/4 compression to 1/2 IP and then a strainless flex hose or a double compression and a straight piece of 3/4 copper or CPVC whatever you have.
    lanfarm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 06:33 PM
    Thanks, guys. Just wanted to make sure the red and blue pex tubing is all that connects the system to my water supply. If it is only those two tubes, I should be able to do it with the proper tools and supplies. I have had the bypass on for a couple of years and, when I move that valve to the other position, the system leaks. Takes up room I could use for something else and would like to get it out of there.
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2011, 02:30 PM
    If it is PEX, the work around is easy. Make sure you get the proper sized rings and crimping tool.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2011, 03:08 PM
    Or if you want, you could just get a couple sharbite 90s (or any brand push fit fitting) and slap them on with a short piece of pex in the middle. No tools required this way.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2011, 02:28 PM
    I use Gator and Sharkbite but so far only with Copper and CPVC. For whatever reason, PEX usage and the fitting scare me, particularly in concealed spaces.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 03:33 PM
    They work great on pex and even the old quest pipes too, just make sure to use the plastic insert(sleeve). Im with you ma, I wouldn't suggest ever installing them in a concealed space on any type of pipe, even though many areas do allow them to be used in concealed areas.
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2011, 07:19 PM
    Another thing that causes issues it the fact that they will rotate around a pipe. I didn't think of that when I replaced an outside faucet for a neighbor who had extended the piping. After I used a sharkbite and a new faucet, the da#* thing would spin around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rainsoft Water Softener: Manual Regeneration [ 9 Answers ]

I just purchased a rainsoft water softener and let the salt run low so there was only a few inches left in the brine tank. Should I manually regenerate now that I have filled with the appropriate level of salt or will this occur automatically? If I do manually regenerate, the owner's manual states...

Rainsoft gold series water softener [ 2 Answers ]

Does a Rainsoft Gold series softner require special salt? Or will Solar salt work? Thanks

How to change the time of regeneration on rainsoft water softener [ 0 Answers ]

How do I change the time of regeneration on rainsoft water softener?

RainSoft Water Softener [ 0 Answers ]

Before I call a service tech to come out and charge me an astronomical fee is there anyway you can tell me why my RainSoft Water Softener is continually making a humming sound.

Rainsoft Water Softener - Salt tank not filling with water? [ 1 Answers ]

Put a bag of salt in my softener today and it appeared to be way over the brine level. Checked on it a few hours later and still had dry pellets on top. Manually regenerated the system - no fill. Letting it go through its cycle now, but wondering if there's something I'm overlooking. There's...

View more questions Search