Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emelo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2011, 08:39 AM
    Does the fence belong to me or my neighbor
    We recently replaced 2 sections of fences because they were broken and falling into our yard. My husband tied them up until we could see if the neighbors were willing to help with the cost before we fixed them. The property survey shows the fence post within our property and 6' fence is written within the property line. Yet the fence was originally put up along the boundary line of both properties according to the home builder. Neither neighbor was willing to help pay, so we had a professional come and replace the fence. Now both neighbors are upset that we tore down their fences and they don't want the metal poles on their side and that I need to have the fence company come back out and put the metal on my side. I just don't see spending a couple of thousands of dollars to have my neighbors with the pretty side of the fence... Does the fence trully belong to me?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 11, 2011, 08:44 AM

If the fence is within your property line its yours. If it is right on the line, then you may be required to move it. If it is over the line, then you will be required to move it.

By the way, in my area it is the custom (maybe the law) to install fencing with the "pretty side" facing out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2011, 12:53 PM

Yes, a pretty side of the fence is always put "out" and you can not place any of the fence that you are installing without neighbor permission ( should be in writing) on their property.

So if you did not put all of the fence on your property ( using any code set back required by your city or county) then yes you have to move the fence.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 11, 2011, 12:55 PM
    I don't understand what you mean by this:
    Quote Originally Posted by emelo View Post
    ... and 6' fence is written within the property line. ...
    ... Now both neighbors are upset that we tore down their fences and they don't want the metal poles on their side and that I need to have the fence company come back out and put the metal on my side. ...
    They can get upset all they want. As ScottGem says, it was your fence so you could do anything you wanted with it. And you built the fence so you could face it where-ever you wanted.

Tell them if they wanted some input they should have agreed to help pay for it.

... Does the fence trully belong to me?
    Sure seems like it did. If you had a survey, it appears that the homebuilder was mistaken as to where the fence was built. And the new one, definitely is yours.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 11, 2011, 02:05 PM
    I made this 'pretty side' mistake a million years ago. And the neighbor complained, and then forgot about it, probably because they had a hedge on their side anyway.
    Neighbors REALLY need to all agree on what happens; that's the nature of fences on property lines. We've all seen properties with fences an inch apart, one on each side of the line, often one wood and one chain link.
    By 6', do you mean height? That is pretty high and if it's chain link, ugly at that height. I'd be upset too that you didn't even mention that part, even if it does fall within code.
    Appease your neighbors, maybe with some vine roses or other vine plants like clematis planted 6' apart. Might cost you $100.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 11, 2011, 02:13 PM

In my previous discussion, I assume OP's "The property survey shows the fence post within our property" means that the old fence (and the new fence) was and is entirely on OP's property. If this assumption is not true, Emelo, kindly let us know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor says my fence on his property [ 7 Answers ]

I have lived in my home for almost 20 years, the house was built in 1986. My property was surrounded by wooded area originally until recently, owners are trying to secion off the land parcels to build sincle family homes. I had land all around me up until 2 years ago, then a house was built next to...

My neighbor says that our fence is three feet onto his property [ 15 Answers ]

My neighbor clames that out fence is three feet onto his property and he plans to move it. The fence had been up for over thiry years. After a certain amount of time does the fence define the property line or will I need to have the property serveyed to settle this dispute?

How do I know the fence is belong to me or the neighbor. [ 4 Answers ]

Good evening. Couples of days ago strong wind blew down the fence @ my rental property... IM pretty sure the fence is belong to the neighbor, so I knocked on their door and inguiry about them to have them fixed and ended with the answer... "that is not mine..it is your..." I brought the property...

Next door neighbor took down my fence. [ 1 Answers ]

What can be done about a neighbor who claims to own app.1-2ft of land on my side of her wall. She took down my chain link fence leaving the gate and the remaining fence along my garage wall allowing my small fox terrier to wander the street. She insists she has the right to prevent me from...

What is neighbor who tore down my fence guilty of? [ 8 Answers ]

While we were away on vacation, my crazy neighbor lady tore down our fence between her yard and ours. We rent. It is my landlord's fence, not her's. While fence was down, my cat got out (cat never left yard previously -- she is too fat to hop the fence. We had left her w/ food and water and...

View more questions Search