Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leakelb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Putting down an older dog
    My poodle is over 15 years old. She is diabetic (2 shots a day) and is blind.
    She has reached the point where she wets everywhere, no matter how many times we take her out. We have "puppy pads" all over the house; she uses them all, but still wets on the carpet each day. It is embarrassing to have company over. She barks a lot because she cannot see.

We are preparing to have new flooring put in and I feel like this is the time we should have her "put down".

Is this cruel?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 7, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Don't let the tail wag the dog. The carpet should not drive you to making your decision, carpet can wait. You must decide if her quality of life and pain have reached the point where it is too much to go on any further. I hate it when I am in that position so I feel for you.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Hi Leak,

What does the vet say? Is the poodle suffering at all? How is the quality of life? Based on the answers to these questions, that would help me form my decision, but not because of the floor.

I do feel for you and just be sure and give her extra hugs.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2007, 04:16 PM
    It is not cruel to "put a dog down" when there are serious health issues. Sometimes we, as pet owners, do not see this from the pet's point of suffering. Rather we see it selfishly as wanting our pet near us. How much longer do you think your dog can endure and how much pain will your dog go through in the final days? I am not being unsympathetic, I have been in the same place you are and had to make that decision. My vet was the best resource for that decision.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2007, 05:32 PM
    What you need to focus on is, is she still enjoying life? She has given you her best years. It is hard to tell what is in a dog's mind. Do you think she feels bad when she fouls the house? Is she happy to have you take her out? Have you discussed pain and incontinence with the vet? When I accepted 10 year old Aster 3 years ago, I decided the criterion was whether she was still enjoying life. She still enjoys her walks, catching a ball, being petted, going out in public, etc. My friends recently had to put her mother to sleep. She had quit eating and was wasting away. It was time. It may be for your dog too.

If she is still enjoying life, there are ways to cope with the incontinence. You could try Seasonals, the sanitary garment meant for females in season. A good pad would hold quite a bit of urine keeping your house clean between trips outside.

These are difficult decisions for a dog owner. It has been over 20 years since I had to have my dog put to sleep. The time eventually comes for all dogs.
    chosen1 Posts: 60, Reputation: -7

Feb 7, 2007, 10:06 PM
    Huggies work well to if you want to save the carpet lol... honestly its hard putting a dog(best friend) down but it reaches a point sometimes and it seems like it is time... you will be sad but get over it more quick than losing a family member or girlfriend... good luck ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My older dog won't eat [ 7 Answers ]

I hope I'm using this correctly - I'm fairly new to internet conversations. My (soon to be) 16 year old dog stopped eating following medication for his cough caused by his heart murmur. We took him off the medicine when it elevated his BUN kidney results, but he has failed to return to a normal...

Putting myself out there [ 2 Answers ]

I have spent years waiting for people to ask me out. It finally happens about 3 months ago, and I actually like the guy so it goes somewhere. However, he recently broke up with me because apparently he misses the single life. I'm quite shy when it comes to being forward and introducing myself. I...

Older dog having trouble holding water [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I have an 11 year old black dog. (mutt) about 30lbs if I had to guess. She's my old pal of many years, but here latley she seems to have some trouble holding her water. She races to go out about every other hour now. So the solution is simple right? Take her out ever other hour! Well, its...

Older dog [ 11 Answers ]

I am struggling with an older dog in my household. He is 17 so I am lucky he is still around. It is a male schnauzer. He eats with no problem, but goesn't always take the medication that he needs of 5 pills in the morning, and 4 in the evening. If he is hungry, he will devour them with his...

Putting her down? [ 12 Answers ]

My dog,a schnauzer terrier cross, has been acting very funny latley She's always been a great dog, good with adults and children, Bit the other day she nearly bit my mom. She's nearly 9 years old And the just day I was petting her, and went straight for my hand she Would have made a nasty hole...

View more questions Search