Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    victorsteh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 05:20 PM
    Human DNA Vs Pig DNA
    The internal organs of pigs i.e. brain ,liver ,kidney.. etc are almost same shape & size of human ?99% ? That is why virus or bacterias that can cause damage/kill the pig will do the same to human.Am I right that is why some religion forbidden them to consume ?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Mar 9, 2011, 07:31 PM
    To some extent, I'd say the answer is yes. Pigs and humans can share a number of viral and bacterial infections and diseases. Therefore it may be somewhat more likely that you could contract a disease from pigs that you wouldn't get from, say, birds.

However, the most like reason culprit for various cultures' aversion to pork is probably trichinella spiralis, which is a species of roundworm which can be found in undercooked pork. The larvae of these parasites can cause trichinosis, a potentially deadly disease. This particular parasite does not rely on the great genetic similarities between humans and pigs, however. It just as readily infects various rodents, bears, and other wild game.

Nevertheless, the fact that eating undercooked pork could kill you (especially thousands of years ago) strikes me as a compelling reason to ban its consumption altogether. And what better way to do that than to incorporate that rule into the tenets of your religion!

By the way, I don't mean to offend anyone with that comment. If your religion bans pork consumption and you believe that rule is divine in origin, you can just pretend I'm only talking about all the OTHER religions that also ban it. :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 9, 2011, 06:06 AM
    I'm a month late, but I wonder about the premise, despite agreeing with the reply.
    Where is it shown that size and shape of organs has anything to do with which bacteria infect each species?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human vs pig and chimpanzee DNA [ 32 Answers ]

Compare the DNA similarity between humans and pigs versus humans and chimpanzees.

DNA, can I get my brother to do a dna test to see if we have same father? [ 13 Answers ]

:confused::confused:I need to know who is my biological father, my mum has told me but I need confirmation. Now my brother has his own father but we are doubtful if he is mines or not. If I asked my brother to do a dna test would that tell me if he is my full brother or not??

What are the differences between human DNA and pig DNA. [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to research the differences between human and pig DNA. I've had no luck finding any kind of information on this matter.

Human DNA [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a difference between the DNA of early man and modern man ?

Storing Human DNA [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a simple and effective way of storing ones DNA for a thousand years? I define Simple as needing no power or maintenance of any kind. The DNA is obtained by Swabbing the inside of your mouth. Assume the storage location is a very cold and isolated place; such as Svalbard Island, where...

View more questions Search