Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WNITRO31580 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 01:42 PM
    Can I Still Become A Cop If I Have A Deffered Sentence?
    I Had Two Felony Charges, Both Non-violent And Where Deferred, Well Since There Deferred Can I Become Police Officer Since I Wasn't Convicted,I Live In Oklahoma And I Always Wanted To Be A Cop Just Got Stupid 6 Years Ago, I Was Young And You Know How That Goes, I Was Told I Can But Guns,vote And All That Crap But Can I Work In Law Enforcement?any Help Would Be Grateful
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 03:23 PM
    You should be able to, now remember the arrests will show up on the report the police get to see, so you will have to answer about what happened, and most police applications don't ask if you were convicted, they ask if you had ever been arrested.

Now you will be going up against a lot of other applicants, so odds are, at least to start you will no get on the highest paying, or the one with the best benefits. You may even have to pay your way their a acadmey first, but you should be able to, since the rule is convicted to be able to carry a gun, which is why a convicted felon can't be a officer.
    Bill54321 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 12:09 AM
    If you're still looking for any other answers... I cannot tell you for sure what requirements your state has. You may be able to find a link to law enforcement positions/requirements through your state's webpage. In my state our state police governs the "Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Commission," (M.P.O.E.T.C.). Our state police agency sets the requirements, guidelines, training, requirements, etc. that municipal, county, and other law enforcement agencies within the state must abide by. Other states are basically set up the same way. Search for your state's "Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Commission", or "Municipal Police Officers' Training Commission". Something similar to those, other states may call it something slightly different, but it should be called something along those lines. Hopefully that helps you out, good luck. This is what my state requires, I'd imagine yours will be something similar to this:

Not acceptable for employment:

1. Criminal conviction of Misdemeanor-2 or higher.

2. Criminal behavior, regardless if arrested or detected, for admissions by the applicant that would be graded as a Felony.

3. Criminal behavior, regardless if arrested or detected, for admissions by the applicant that would be graded as a Misdemeanor-1 within the past 10 years from date of application.

4. Any section listed in the Uniform Firearms Act, Brady Law and any other federal law and amendments prohibiting possession of a firearm.

5. Manufacturing of controlled substances.

6. Sale or delivery of controlled substances for any type of gain or profit.

7. Drug Admissions:

a. Usage of marijuana: No usage within the three years prior to filing an application. Usage prior to the age of 18 does not automatically disqualify a candidate. Zero tolerance for usage after the age of 25.

b. Usage of Schedule I, II, III drugs, excluding marijuana, non-prescribed Schedule II drugs and steroids as listed in the Controlled Substances, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act (Act 64): No usage within the five years prior to filing an application. Usage prior to the age of 18 does not automatically disqualify a candidate. Zero tolerance for usage after the age of 25.

c. Usage of heroin, methamphetamine, LSD: Zero tolerance.

d. Abuse of medicinal prescription for the sole purpose of recreational use: Zero tolerance.

e. Injected drug use of any type: Zero tolerance.

f. Usage of steroids (pill form): No usage within the three years prior to filing an application.

8. Driving Under the Influence charge (DUI) one year prior to filing an application; two DUI charges within 10 years prior to filing an application; or any DUI charge after filing an application.

9. Dishonorable discharge from the Military.

10. Law Enforcement: Criminal activity, regardless of grading, while in a law enforcement position.

11. Intentional falsification or omission of information on the Formal Application for Employment and/or the Polygraph Screening Booklet.

NOTE: The requirements listed above are subject to change at any time. You should review this site periodically.
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 5, 2007, 02:18 AM
    A little note about polygraph screening - take a look at anti-polygraph.org.
    There are serious concerns about their accuracy which may cause you problems.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 06:53 AM
    Hello W:

Let's be clear. You said that you have a deferred sentence... That's not the same as a deferred conviction. With a deferred sentence, you HAVE been convicted.

Secondly, the cops might overlook a possession charge, or something similar, but their not going to overlook any crimes dealing with moral turpitude. The difference between a crime like possession and one dealing with moral turpitude, is this: Getting high is NOT stealing.

The cops can forgive getting high. They're not going to forgive stealing – and they shouldn't.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deffered entry of judgement [ 3 Answers ]

If I was ordered into the pc1000, deffered entry of judgement, then before I could even attend I resigned from my job and relocated my family due to my 13yr old being raped by a gang member who boldly threatened our lives. Once I was gone and safe I pressed charges, he is finally incarcerated. Now...

IP Cop Help [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys I recently got adsl with a router. This is the problem. The router will only let my client machine connect if its giving out DHCP. If I use static with the router as default gateway I can do anything on the net. I am now trying to setup an ipcop(1.4.6) machine. I have given the...

IP Cop problems [ 7 Answers ]

I have an IP Cop firewall that I am using to split my network in half. My setup consists of a Netgear router which goes out to my office netork of 5 or so computers, one of which is my IP Cop box. The IP Cop box then goes to a switch which I plug customer computers into. So essentially I have an...

View more questions Search