Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boyerp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 05:10 PM
    Can the mother of my daughter take my daughter out of state?
    I have a daughter that lives in Indiana. I live in Michigan. Can her mother move to Florida? I want to see my daughter, but now it will be hard and expensive. What are my rights? Do I have to pay child support, when I can't see my daughter?

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2011, 05:15 PM

Do you have court ordered visitation? If so, she cannot move without court permission if the move will change your ability to exercise your visitation rights.

However, child support and visitation are usually treated separately, so you would have to continue to pay support.

Where was the original support/visitation order issued?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2011, 05:16 PM

What is the legal status? Is custody/visitation Court ordered? If not the mother can take the child wherever and whenever she chooses. Support and visitation/custody are separate issues.

In some cases the Court will allow the mother to move if there is good reason but will change the visitation schedule.

Do you pay support? Is it Court ordered?

Yes, if custody/visitation are Court ordered the mother cannot move. Child support will be addressed in that same hearing.

Again - support and visitation are separate issues.
    shawnypoo Posts: 3, Reputation: -2

Mar 17, 2011, 05:17 PM
    There has to be an court order with parent that has legal custody you have to get child's parent permission to take her out of state. Child support differ from state to state. You must go to court and see a court order and visition rights. If you pay child support I suggest that you keep your reciepts and take it to court to demand that you see your daughter.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2011, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnypoo View Post
    there has to be an court order with parent that has legal custody you have to get childs parent permission to take her out of state. child support differ from state to state. you must go to court and see a court order and visition rights. If you pay child support I suggest that you keep your reciepts and take it to court to demand that you see your daughter.

You are absolutely incorrect - support and visitation are separate issues in EVERY State/Country.

Please, this is a legal board. If you don't know, please don't answer. There has not been enough info posted (concerning Court Orders and the like) to make a determination. That's why I asked the questions.

If there IS an Order the custodial parent must go to Court and seek permission to move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was 17 when my daughter was born; my daughters mother was 16. We had a lot of prob [ 8 Answers ]

I was on my teenage years when my daughter was born; my daughter’s mother was also a teen. We had a lot of problems and decided to go separate ways. The lady and her family took me into court, I attended two sections, but the last section they mentioned to the judge that I was an illegal immigrant,...

Daughter and mother [ 5 Answers ]

I really need to know where I can turn for help. My daughter has a bad drug problem, no insurance, no money, no job, no thing... She even say that she does not have a problem.. If I do not get her help soon I feel she is going to harm herself and god only knows who else... she has had a wreck...

Single mother wanting to take 10 month old daughter out of state for a month [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother who has joint custody of my 10 month old daughter it is not court ordered but she has lived with me only since she was born her dad pays child support and sees her for a few hours once a week, so I pretty much have full custody just not through the courts. I would like my...

Mother daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I feel like my mother hates me, even though when I say this she denies it, yet she never says I love you either. She is constantly criticizing me and giving unasked for advice about things that are not her business. She accuses me of being arrogant and haughty and a lot of other not nice things,...

Mother-daughter [ 11 Answers ]

For the last 8 years I have cared for a mom with Alzheimer's disease, and a 38 year-old daughter with breast cancer. Both have died. My oldest daughter was not there to help with the care of mom and her sister; claims no one in the family was there for her; blames me (mom) and never her dad, for...

View more questions Search