Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lil_kim_413 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2010, 09:15 AM
    How old does a male dachshund need to be before he can mate
    I have a male dachshund who is 5 months and he is starting to hump everything I was wondering if and when he could mate
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 10, 2010, 09:43 AM

I'm going to be harsh. If you don't know the answer to your question, you shouldn't mate him. You don't know enough to breed.

Breeding dogs is not just a matter of putting a male and female together and having puppies. There's so much more to consider. You have a breed that is prone to many health issues. Have you had him tested for health defects he may pass on to his offspring? What kind of testing have you done? Do you know what's involved in breeding? Do you have a breeding mentor? There's a long list of things to do before you even consider mating him.

A responsible breeder only breeds to further the breed, not to make money. In fact, after all the testing etc. even if a breeder charges thousands of dollars for the pup, they usually don't make any money on the pups they sell.

Please don't be a backyard breeder. There are too many unwanted dogs in the world already. In fact, 5 million dogs are put to sleep every year in the US alone.

Just enjoy your dog. He doesn't need to mate in order to be happy.

Good luck.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2010, 09:52 AM

Excellent answer Alty.

He is certainly old enough to be able to reproduce now but he definitely should not be.

No dog should be bred until 2 years of age. It takes that long for them to fully mature plus there are many health tests that cannot be done (or are not accurate) until that age.

He is old enough now to be neutered and that should stop the humping once the testosterone is reduced.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2010, 02:06 PM

My 14 old nephew is also old enough to reproduce, but we are against it.:)
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Dec 11, 2010, 10:43 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Altenweg again.

Lil_kim, at only 5 months old, your puppy's humping may be more of dominance issue rather than your dog looking to procreate. It sounds as if you have a training issue on your hands. What do you do when your dog starts humping things? How are you correcting him? Are there any other behavioral problems (such as housebreaking, biting, walking on a leash,. ) he is exhibiting that you are having trouble with?

If your only concern is mating him, please listen to what people have posted here. How much do you know about dogs in general? How much do you know about dachshunds specifically? If you purchased your pup from an AKC approved breeder that has given you certification your boy is free from all the genetic defects dachshunds are known for, then please follow Shaz's advice. Two years old is the usual rule of thumb after he has fully matured and your vet has confirmed he is a good stud candidate. If you did not purchase him from one, please do not mate him. You will be doing him a huge service by neutering him. Dachshunds are prone to spinal disc problems (which often leads to paralysis), diabetes, & heart problems. At the moment, petfinder has close to 5700 dachshunds/dach mixes that are sitting in shelters throughout the country. Many have been surrendered because their owners cannot afford the medical expense that comes with the spinal problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why would male cats try to mate with a female cat that has been fixed? [ 4 Answers ]

A few months ago we took a stray cat that showed up at our house to the vet to get her fixed so she can't get pregnant. Now that it is mating season male cats outside will not leave her alone. They bite her neck and try to mate with her. Is this normal? If so, why are they doing this since she...

Male dachshund and mating [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know the ages a male dachshund needs to be to mate?:confused: :confused: >Moved from Forum Help<

Peeing Male Dachshund--HELP! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I desperately need help… I have a miniature dachshund male (NOT neutered & ready to breed). He is 2 & ½ years old. Very free-spirited and strong-headed—born on July 4th . The problem is that he “marks” all of the corners in the house on the regular basis, when no one is home, or, when he...

Male Shar pei neutered wanting to mate! [ 2 Answers ]

I need help! My 6 month old shar-pei is already neutered. I just brought home 4 weeks ago a mini daschund. He at first hated her and tried to bite her but now he wants to mate with her! He mounts her. He tries to roll with her and gently nip at each others neck. What should I do? Thanks, ...

Male dachshund personality changing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a 2 year old male black and tan long haired whose personality has changed over the past several months. He has bitten my husband twice and my 12 year old once. He is overly possessive of his crate and seems to only like me. Has anyone else experienced a dog changing his...

View more questions Search