Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbdotsy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Joint custody
    My brother who is seeking joint custody of his 8 mo old son and has never been married to the mother of his child, but the mother of his child has other children with different fathers had her children taken by CPS prior to her having my brothers son. My brother is wanting joint custody, however his wife is disabled and experiences occasional seizure once every three to four weeks. His wife is able to care for herself. Does my brother still have a good chance at joint custody?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Of course the fact he was with her after she had her kids, one has to wonder what he saw in her as "wife" or "mother" material.

But he will need to show in court the same type of evidence they needed to take the other kids. Show neglect, abuse or some reason she is not a fit mother. Why was joint custody not given at the original child custody hearing ?
    lbdotsy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Because a court hearing never took place. My brother is married to a different woman who is disabled. In other words my brother had an affair which a child came out of this. After the child was born only a verbal agreement between the two about giving child support and a few visits to his son only when the mother allows my brother to see him. That is why he wants legal paper by a lawyer to get joint custody but his wife he has is disabled and has occasional seizures. I wanted to know if this would prevent him getting joint custody?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Ok, first always a written court order on visitation and custody. Does not matter it was from an affair. And most important, he does need a DNA test just to be sure of course.

But no the medical issue of wife should not be an issue, but I will be honest, judges are so hard to guess, in one court house if there are three judges, two may normally rule one way, another would rule another way, a local attorney will know more about that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2007, 07:18 PM
    First Joint custody simply means that he will have a say in how the child is raised. So does he want visitation or physical custody?

Second this is going to be a very iffy situation. On the one hand you have a promiscuous mother on the other hand you have a philandering father with a disabled wife. I would strongly suggest a good attorney familiar with the Family Court system in that area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint custody relocation [ 3 Answers ]

In CA, if parents have joint custody, can one parent move the child(ern) out of the country without permission of the other parent?

Joint custody [ 1 Answers ]

My brother is not married to the mother of his child who is now 8 months old. The mother has had other children with different men. She had custody of the other children at one time. The children were taken from her by CPS and given to the other fathers. My brother does have concerns for his son...

Divorce-joint custody [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I are separated and will be proceeding for divorce, we have agreed on joint custody however the children's prime residency will be with there Mother, we have agreed children come first, however, my husband thinks joint custody means he will not have to pay child support , please...

Joint custody [ 6 Answers ]

If parents are in high conflict and haven't spoken to each other since the mother was 4 or 5 months pregnant and the child is now 6 weeks old, will that keep the father from getting joint custody? The father refuses to talk with her and has a restraining order on her because she is verbally...

Joint custody costs [ 3 Answers ]

I am recently divorced. We have a 14 yr old daughter that wanted to go to the mall one Friday afternoon that they had a day off school. She comes to my house every weekend and on wednesdays. We have joint custody. She called me and asked if her and her 2 friends could go. When they had their...

View more questions Search