Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bungal251 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2010, 07:16 AM
    Size of wire 100 amp garage service?
    I will actually be using less than 60 amps but the box has 100 amp breakers and rating. Do I need to go to a larger gauge simply because of the larger breakers or can I go smaller as for a 60 amp usage? I have a small compressor; 50 amp welder; may install a motorized garage door as a manual is there now. The lights were already in and are 6 long type fluorescent. The distance is 100 feet from home to garage and I am not sure if it will be above or underground. ( finances ). I am thinking of a temp service just for compressor and lights and save for the underground. I was using a 12/3 wire for lights and compressor but was just on ground. The contractor cut the underground wire that was there when be dug the basement. A trailer was here I I broke it up.. the renters had trashed it and the owner sold because of a divorce. I installed the breaker box and this was from the trailer. I followed code. Now no underground cable so will need some temp ideas and idea on the underground service.. I think I will need a 3" conduit or can I use the 2 for 100 at 60 amp? Thanks.. Earl
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2010, 08:08 AM
    For a 100 amp feeder in conduit to a garage 100 feet away, you can use #3 copper, or #1 aluminum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size wire for 220v 100 amp service at 100 feet [ 7 Answers ]

I am running 220v 100 ft to a 125 amp sub panel. A welder would be the heaviest thing used. (around 200 amp welder) what size copper wire would I need running in pvc underground

How to wire for a 100 amp service to a garage from a 200amp service location [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 400 amp service that is attach to my house and I going to be putting in a garage about 200 hundred feet away from the main service panel, I would like to know what size wire to use for that length.

Service entrance cable (alum) size for a 100 amp service at 186 feet for a garage [ 1 Answers ]

The garage is 186' from the service at the house. I wanted to make sure the voltage drop would not cause a problem.

Condo/Apt. New 100 amp service - BX wire size? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi All! I currently have an old 40 amp service in my pre-war condo. We are allowed to run BX securely attached for a new service. The distance is 250 feet. I am looking to get a 100 amp service. What size BX cable should be used for this? Do they make BX large enough for a 250 foot 100 amp...

View more questions Search