Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcyv72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2010, 05:46 PM
    Troubleshoot overflowing and bubbling toilet
    My toilet has been doing a lot of bubbling and then the shower will back up and toilet won't flush. If shower or laundry is used upstairs it will also back up. Does anyone have any idea??
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2010, 09:39 PM

Pour equal parts of warm water and vinegar in shower drain. Let seat overnight and flush in morning with boiling hot water.

If this does not clear blockage will have to snake it. Can try from shower but may have to go from roof vent. If snaking from shower send in about 10 feet past toilet.

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 24, 2010, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by marcyv72 View Post
    My toilet has been doing a lot of bubbling and then the shower will back up and toilet won't flush. If shower or laundry is used upstairs it will also back up. Does anyone have any idea???
    If warm water and vinegar didn't remove the blockage then it's time to get out the snake.
    Let me explain what's happening and then we'll get to the repair part.
    You flush or drain and the discharge hits the clog and bounces back sending a bubble of sewer gas ahead of it, m That's the bubbles that you see. You have a blockage downstream from the shower. Is the shower and toilet a basement installation?'
    This can be snaked from several locations.
    1) If in the basement there may be a stack cleanout that you can snake from.
    2) Pull the toilet and snake from there.
    3) Remove the shower drain strainer and snake from there, **OR**
    4) Snake from the lavatory roof vent.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my toilet bubbling when another toilet is flushed? [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet is bubbling when any good amount of water is dumped. When I flush my other toilet my one toilet bubbles and spurts water out or when I'm doing dishes my toilet bubbles I've replaced the wax ring and then the whole toilet and it still bubbles and gurgles. When I flush it takes like 5...

Bubbling toilet when flushing another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, we have moved into a newer home (5 years old). We live high in the mountains, in Fairplay Co. and have well and septic. Our water should be as fresh as could be, but smells of sulfur, despite trying a number of different filters. We have also discovered that our toilets will bubble up if...

Bubbling/overflowing toilet in an apartment [ 8 Answers ]

I have lived in an apartment complex for 5 months. Over the past month, the toilet has overflowed 4 times. The times that it has not overflowed, it bubbles until all of the water is drained out of the bowl. It also drains really slow and fills up very quickly. The on site maintenance has...

Toilet overflowing, sink bubbling. [ 4 Answers ]

We just moved into my mother in laws house, and had some problems with the septic tank. There is an apartment above the garage as well, so there is a total of 3 bathrooms, and two families doing laundry, which is a lot of laundry, and dishes, and showering. Anyway, the toilet in the house would...

Toilet bowel bubbling air and overflowing [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet bowel bubbling and overflowing

View more questions Search