Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carolinetryon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 05:03 PM
    My dog poops only in the middle of the night when were sleeping, what do I do?
    I take him on walks regularly all day plus take him to the dog run 3-4 times a week. I don't like to crate him because we work and sometimes he has to go in the kennel during the day(not always). I've tried making him be obedient and not come on our laps until invited(he's a min-pin/chichuachua cross. He' been fixed and is just barely a year. He used to poop in the house at anytime but now is only at night when were sleeping. We don't let him roam the house he's in the bedroom with us. Sometimes he'll go two or three days with no accidents and others times... well. I'm running out of ideas and need advice. I want another dog but until I get this under wraps it isn't even an option. Please help!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2010, 07:48 PM

Crate him at night.

Kennels keep good dogs good. Don't allow him the opportunity to go potty. The kennel/crate should be big enough he can turn around and lay down. He gets plenty of exercise throughout his day and week where putting him in a crate will not create an anxious dog.

Does he have a favorite potty place in your house? If so, clean it real good. Get an enzyme based cleaner such as Nature's Miracle and pour it on his potty spots straight (dont worry, it doesn't stain). Scrub it real good and let dry then go back over it with water. If you remove the smell, the chances of him not going again are high.

Also, realize what you got. Chihuahuas are very stubborn when it comes to house training. You're going to have to get creative on how to prevent this. Not all methods work. But maybe try tying him to you. Take away his freedoms. Let him earn the right to sleep outside the crate. Let him earn the right to wander around the house regardless if you're home or not. If you can't watch him, he is either crated or in his kennel run outside. Also, don't feed him anything (including treats or bones) after 6pm. Let him empty out before bedtime. During this time, I probably would not let him drink after 7 or 8pm.
    lucytwo2 Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2010, 02:45 PM

WHAT TIME OF DAY DOES HE EAT? You might be feeding him too late in the day. Try to not give him any food after 5:00.If he eats at 5:00 then he should be able to potty before bed time and not during bed time.
    paislyBirmman Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Oct 10, 2011, 07:15 PM
    In a very stirn voice tell him\her NO and what she did (not yelling it) and maybe tap him\her on the nose firmly.I had this problem with my jack russel terrier a few years back. Sit her donw by the mess and show her what you are talking about other wise she might not know what you are talking about and do it again anyway. If this doesn't helptry obedence school? Good luck!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog poops at night and it's driving me crazy... I need some help! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everyone We just picked up our dog who is a female Bichon Frise. She will be almost 9 months! The breeders had them go to the washroom anywhere as a point of spoiling them. She was trained very quickly to pee outside but we are having a problem with her doing poop outside. I bring her...

Dog Stopped Sleeping Through Night [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have a 9 month old Beagle/Boston Terrier mix. We have had him since he was 10 weeks old. Until recently, he has been very well trained. But in the last few weeks he has become very frustrating. He can't be left alone for any length of time without getting upset. He use to sleep...

Dog restless in middle of night [ 3 Answers ]

My havense 9 year old has a fear of thunder. I have medicated him for this three times in the last month. But now with no medication for weeks and no thunder, he wakes me up several times a night clawing at the floor, though not really in much of a panic. I tell him "no" and he stops for a minute...

Dog not sleeping at night [ 1 Answers ]

My dog every night acts like there is really bad thunder storm. Trying to get in bed with you and sleeping on your head, heavy panting and when we lock him out of the bedrooms he urinates. He gets extremely restless. Can't sit still. So even if you let him on your bed, he moves all the time. About...

Dog not sleeping through the night [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this site. My dad asked me to do a little research about why my 4 year old German Shepherd dog isn't sleeping through the night. She eats Eukanuba Large Adult Dry Food mixed with Pedigree Adult wet food at about 6 pm. Before my family goes to bed, we let her out to go to the...

View more questions Search