Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mefch Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 08:05 AM
    sue ex spouse for harassment
    My X filed for divorce in 1998. I can't even count how many times I have been dragged to court. The last time was 9/4/09 where he agreed to pay $250. A week for child support instead of the court recommended $189.00 a week. Now a year later he is dragging me back to court to change the amount to the $189. The Magistrate asked him on 9/4 three separate times if he agreed to pay the $250. A week for child support and 3 times, my X said "yes". I have lost many unpaid days from work because of all of his games. He gets 5 weeks a year paid vacation, I only get 2. Not only have I lost days when I am summoned to court but also for the days where the amotional stress takes over. He is taking me to court this time because our 21 year old and 22 month old Grandson is living with him now. I supported both of them for the last 3 years with NO financial help from my X. Now he wants to lower my child support for our son because they are living with him. Can I sue him for the games he is playing at my expense??
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 09:22 AM

Sorry, but that's not harassment. He has the legal right to contest all of that. This happens all the time in divorces and many times it's the man that's the victim of it, not always the woman.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2010, 09:36 AM

No, you can't sue for harassment, but you can ask for him to pay your court costs. Most states have a limit about how long once has to wait to file a modification.

If he is going to court without the legal right, you can certainly get court costs.

Aug 18, 2010, 09:49 AM
    Thank you... what else can I do?
    Thank you... What can I do to make the court aware that he is playing games at my expense? I can't afford to lose my job! Can I sue him for anything that relates to him wasting the courts time and mine? Can I sue for the prescriptions that I have to take to be able to deal with the stress he is causing me? I have no health insurance so the doctor visits and pills are not cheap! He walked out of the marriage after 19 years... he should just man up and pay for our 4 kids, which by the way, the child support ends on 4/6/11. How disgusting is he to fight over $61.00 a week when he makes $140 thousand a year! He has even caused 3 of his kids to turn their back on him. The one living with him is only using him because I wanted her to do the laundry in exchange for free rent, clothes, food, TV, and other life essentials! So now he wants to lower the child support on our youngest son to compensate for letting our 21 year old and baby live with him. Since the Judge questioned him 3 times last Sept. what do you think my chances of having the motion thrown out are?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2010, 10:08 AM

First, please don't start a new thread for a follow-up. Use the Answer This question options instead. Also since your question was a legal one it was moved to the Family Law forum.

We just told you you can't sue. But if he files a court petition that is not legal, you can ask that it be dismissed on the grounds that its too soon. You can also ask that he be liable for court costs.

A good source of free or low cost legal help is a local law school. Many run clinics staffed by students who can advise you, help prepare paperwork etc.

By the way ANY question about law NEEDS to include your general area. Laws vary by area, so we would need to be able to research applicable law to answer you.

Aug 18, 2010, 10:36 AM
    Thank you, but I still would like to know what I can do to him to fight back so he will stop the games? We live in CT, is there anything I can file against him? The court clerk suggested a "cross complaint" does that sound like something that would work in this case?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue for slander/defamation of character & harassment? [ 22 Answers ]

I have been dealing with someone harassing my family & I for more than three years. She follows me often. Has mailed letters to myself & my husband as well as taping letters on the door of his place of employment. She is constantly confronting my teenage daughters, other family members and friends...

Harassment from x-spouse [ 8 Answers ]

I have tried to look up laws on harassment because I am the victim of e-mail harassment from my x-husband. I live in New York State. From what I have been able to decipher, it seems that I cannot go for harassment unless he physically threatens me in the e-mails. The e-mails contain verbal...

Can I sue a police department for harassment, slander, and defamation of character? [ 6 Answers ]

I own a local tattoo shop. We've been experiencing a tremendous decrease in business due to allegations and rumors that drugs are sold out of our studio. All allegations are false, and we have written and signed statements from a number of customers and other people of what officers in our...

Ex-spouse harassment [ 5 Answers ]

My husband lost his job over a year ago. After many months of continuing to pay total Child Support payments, he asked and received a reduction. His ex-wife is contesting the judges ruling. She has now decided to ask for all of MY financial information from many years before I even knew my...

Can you really sue someone that is having an affair with your spouse? [ 7 Answers ]

Is there really a way to sue the people your husband is having affairs with? What would be the grounds?

View more questions Search