Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RandomQuestions Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 10:58 AM
    2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - Powered Seats and Heaters
    I have a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71. The Driver side powered seat has completely stopped working. The heated seats on both driver and passenger sides have stopped working. The powered seats went out a few weeks ago but came back for about a month. I've checked the circuit breaker for the powered seats and the fuse for the heated seats. Both the breaker and fuse are great. I've got voltage at the circuit breaker for the powered seats (7.84v), and the switches for the powered seats have 1v at open with a voltage drop to 0 when I activate the switches. The problem being that the seats don't work although the switches apparently are working. I'm guessing the switch is multiplexed possibly with such low voltage? I've seen from some other posts that there is a common ground with the powered windows at G304, but all powered windows continue to function properly. Only other issue in the vehicle is that the rear wiper motor and washer are also inoperable occasionally, but that is some type of short in the rear hatch wiring harness that passes from the body to the hatch by the lift gate glass.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any help. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Best,
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2010, 12:09 PM

7.84 is probably too low of a voltage. Suggests corroded or bad connection.

The heated seats are pobably not going to last anyway. They likley use an on/off type control and the elements get extremely stressed.
    volvokenny Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2010, 01:49 AM
    I had a 98 Chev Blazer and it was common the power seats will stop working. This being said the power wire which is orange that runs from the seat motor under the drivers seat and runs under the car mat and up the dash. As often with rainy weather and the car mat does not hold the water and gets under the rug and cause the orange wire to corrode. I took it to a mechanic and he detected it was a faulty motor and the total cost to replace was about $500 parts/Labour. Thank goodness I didn't go ahead with the job because another Chev Blazer owner suggested it was the Orange wire under the driver seat and he was right then I replaced it and it was all good. I am pretty sure you might have the same problem since it is a Chev... good luck!
    Manillagecko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 12:02 PM
    I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe and had the same problem. Unfortunately it is not an inexpensive fix. The power seat module has to be replaced. It retails for $485. If you have a GM employee discount it will only set you back $437. It is a very common problem and I am surprised that there has not been a recall.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Manillagecko View Post
    I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe and had the same exact problem. Unfortunately it is not an inexpensive fix. The power seat module has to be replaced. It retails for $485. If you have a GM employee discount it will only set you back $437. It is a very common problem and I am surprised that there has not been a recall.
    You are correct, sir! It is a very expensive fix for a simple creature comfort item.
    But that is also why you won't likely see any "recall" on them because it is only a creature comfort issue. Most recalls address genuine safety issues.
    If it's not the module then it's likely the heated seat elements, which are built into the seat's padding and after having changed tons, I'd still like to charge more. If you only knew first hand how friggin' difficult it is...
    ShawnNJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 1, 2012, 05:27 PM
    The power seats are more then just a "creature comfort" being as there is no other way to adjust the seat. I would go as far as to call it a safety concern because it wouldn't be safe for anyone to drive in a seat that was way out of adjustment for them. Luckily my power seats went out when I was driving it and not my girl who is 5'4 or I wouldn't even be able to get in it anymore.
    downeastdan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2012, 11:28 AM
    Did you ever find a resolution? I have the same problem with my wife's 2003 Tahoe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power seat fuse location for a 2004 Tahoe [ 6 Answers ]

2004 Tahoe, Z71. Driver side front seat is stuck in the most forward position. There is no power to that seat. Panel on door that controls heated seat on both, passenger and Driver side no power. Passenger seat has power to move back and forth, up and down. Looked for fuse but nothing stands out...

2005 Chevy Tahoe Passenger Power Windows and Both Power Seats not Working [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe. The passenger side windows stopped working and both passenger and driver power seats stopped working. All of this happened at the same time. I saw this same problem posted by another user back in January but I didn't see a clear answer. Does anybody know how to fix...

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe seat control running backwards [ 1 Answers ]

My Tahoe drivers seat is working backwards on the forward and backward movement, and the front of the seat will not lower just the back half. Also why do my Daytime running lights keep blowing? Thanks

2003 Chevy Tahoe Power Seats and Passenger window don't work [ 3 Answers ]

My power seats aren't working, all the windows besides the passenger work. I read about a problem with the ground under the driver seat, does any one have more information about where the ground wire is? I could not locate it.

Electric baseboard heaters -wiring 1 thermostat to two heaters [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to heat my new garage with electric baseboard heaters. The new garage is 20X24 feet. I would like to use only one 240V #12 2 wire circuit running two heaters at a total of 3800 watts. I plan to use 2 pole 20A breakers and 2c #12 wire. I would like to have both heaters controlled...

View more questions Search