Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nekeroom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 09:25 PM
    Plumbing... Is there a difference in the Hot & Cold water valves?
    I just replaced both the hot and cold bath tub valves, but now they both turn on by going clockwise and off counter clockwise?
    Bethlk Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 09:45 PM

I don't know for sure - but mine turn on & off the same why yours is ((shrug)).
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 05:24 AM
    Hi Neke...

Yes, there is a difference in the threading of hot and cold water STEM ASSMEBLIES... ;) It sounds like you purchased two hot water stems. It won't matter in terms of shutting the water off, but it certainly could confuse a guest or two!

If it really bothers you go out and purchase the cold water stem assembly and install it. That's all that should be needed to resolve this!

Lat us know if you need more...

Mark
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 09:19 AM

Agree with Mark's response. In addition: if stems turn same direction than they are used for round knob handles. If you have lever handles than they should turn opposite of each other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water shooting out from behind shower hot and cold valves [ 3 Answers ]

When I turn on the shower, water is not making it up to the shower head, rather spraying out from behind the knobs to turn the shower on? Is it just bad gaskets? How should I repair.

Yellow water from cold & hot water lines on city service [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a house that is ~30 years old. It has copper pipes. When I first noticed yellow water I flushed my hot water tank, but the water problems persists and it occurs even when I'm running cold water. There is some sediment in the water that looks like the iron content in well water,...

Kitchen sink hot and cold water valves [ 2 Answers ]

Help! The hot and cold water coming out of the kitchen sink faucet are never really "hot" and "cold"... always lukewarm-ish. I've tried messing with the valves underneath the sink, but I don't know if they are both supposed to be open all the way or if one should be open and the other closed......

Plumbing: I have a single knob on my bath tub that controls the hot and cold water. [ 3 Answers ]

We "had" our plumbing problem "fixed" by a pro. It still does not work. Our upstairs bathroom has both hot & cold water when a sink facucet is turned on. But, in the bathtub, only the cold water works. Had it "fixed" almost a year ago, just had company, and there is no hot water coming out of...

Shower loses hot or cold water when other plumbing fixtures are used [ 8 Answers ]

We live in a split-level house built in 1965; it has three residential levels plus a basement. Our bathrooms are on the upmost level, and the hot water heater is in the basement. The showers lose cold water whenever someone uses the kitchen sink, dishwasher, toilet, or bathroom sinks. The shower...

View more questions Search