Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roxieum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Installing two wall sconces by using a ceiling light
    I have a dark hallway which although there is a ceiling light Id like to add two wall sconces (already purchased)... what is the best way to do it? Id like to connect them to the ceiling light so that they all can share the same switch...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 10:21 AM

Depending on the Location, you can connect to the existing light, separately, or Existing light, to new light, then from first new light to second light, If you have a neutral and switchleg in switch box, you can run from their, whichever is least destructive, easiest, and cheapest if possible.
    Is this on 3 ways(2 switches controlling the light)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 17, 2010, 10:37 AM

You could also run a swag from both lights to the old ceiling box. It would not look very nice but its works. Othjer option is to open the walls in certain spots to pull cable.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 09:04 PM

What is above hallway? If u have an attic above, u can run the cables for the sconces with no damage to walls or ceiling.

Cut opening in wall for box u will use for sconce. Drill 3/4 inch hole in wall plate that lines u up in the bay u made holes.

Turn off electric to ceiling light. Run two cables from ceiling light. One cable to each opening. Hook black and white wires to wires that are hook to light. Hook ground to existing ground wires.

Install cable into each box and mount in opening. Hook wires from sconce to wires in box. Don't forget ground wire. Mount sconces on boxes and turn on electric.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a new ceiling light [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've tried to install a new ceiling light in my old flat. First I disconnected the wires coming out of the ceiling from the junction box connecting them to the light wires. There were 3 wires out of the ceiling, all brown, but only two were connected to the box. Then I tried to install the new...

Installing wall remote for ceiling fan into wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've had no luck with getting the wall remote on my Hampton Bay ceiling fan to work. I was able to get the fan to work with the wall switch, but once I change out the switch with the wall remote it doesn't work. The l.e.d. on the wall remote is not even lighting. There are 6 switches on the...

Installing new ceiling lights and wall switch [ 4 Answers ]

I recently purchased 2 flurescent ceiling lights to install where there have been none. I also installed a new wall switch wired from a baseboard outlet. My problem is that when the light is switched on it throws the circuit breaker. I've checked my wiring (bl. To bl. wh. To wh. and ground to...

Installing Wall-Mounted Remote Control - Ceiling Fan [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everybody: I am new to this board and hope there is somebody around this Memorial Day Weekend who can help. I just bought a Modern Fan Company Aurora Hugger ceiling fan and am trying to install it. This fan has no pull cords and operates on a remote that is tucked into the fan housing....

Wiring two wall sconces from a common junction box [ 2 Answers ]

Wiring two wall sconces from a common junction box Good day. I have two wall sconces that were wired to a common junction box where they obtained their source of power (SOP). They each have their own on and off switches on the light fixture. I wish to connect both wall sconces to a dimmer....

View more questions Search