Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shelley Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2005, 07:23 AM
    Help my puppy LOVES to eat poop!!
    :eek: Help! My brand new 12 week Chihuahua puppy is perfect in everyway except for his nasty habbit of eating his poop!! He even likes to eat other poop from other dogs and even deer poop that he found!! To stop him I clap really loud and say NO! He scampers away right after but then bolts right back to it! Gggrrrrr, so I immeditately pick him up and point him in another direction and he seems to forget about it if its not in his immediate vision. Does anyone else have this problem?? How do I eliminate this nasty habbit or will he just grow out of it. I really don't like to yell at him at all!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2005, 08:14 AM
    There are several approaches to this. I usually get by cleaning it up before the dog gets to it. You can add things to the food that make their own unappetizing. Try pineapple juice, canned pumpkin, or a commercial product such as Deter or Forbid.

They often, but not always grow out of it. I have an 11 year old Lab that will clean up after deer and rabbits when we go for a walk in the woods I don't watch her. Try teaching the command, ''Leave it!''.
    Shelley Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2005, 08:30 AM
    Thank you labman!
    Thanks labman for the advice! I will try some of those solutions... pineapple juice? That sounds like it will make it taste better! Haha My puppy does that 2 in the woods... eat deer poop! I am going to keep trying to reenforce the old command of Leave It before trying to actually altering his food. Thanks again labman!! :)
    TallyHoTess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    :eek: Help! My brand new 12 week Chihuahua puppy is perfect in everyway except for his nasty habbit of eating his poop!!! He even likes to eat other poop from other dogs and even deer poop that he found!!!! To stop him I clap really loud and say NO! He scampers away right after but then bolts right back to it! Gggrrrrr, so I immeditately pick him up and point him in another direction and he seems to forget about it if its not in his immediate vision. Does anyone else have this problem????? How do I eliminate this nasty habbit or will he just grow out of it. I really dont like to yell at him at all!
    I know this problem was 2 years ago for you... how did every thing go, I have a new pup with the same problem!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 09:01 PM
    Shelly hasn't been heard from in over 2 years. The only difference now is my Lab is 14.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy with blood in poop [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 9 week old poo-tzu, lstnight he woke up to go to the bathroom more than usual. This morning I noticed his poop was kind of runny, and looked like there may be some blood in it. Anyone know why this could be happening?? :confused:

Puppy won't poop outside [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a six month old miniature pinscher. I have read that they are stubborn to housebreak. When I take him outside all he does is sniff around and eat bugs but will eventually pee. When he comes in, he sometimes poops within 5-10 min. I have even cought him squating and picked him up...

Help! My poop puppy [ 9 Answers ]

I just recently adopted my dog a German Shep. X. from the local humane society and for the first four days she was great. So much energy. Now she won't eat a thing and keeps throwing up early in the morning. She is still pretty playful but you can see that she is tired. I brought her the vet and at...

Puppy eating his own poop [ 21 Answers ]

I have an 8 month old black lab who eats his own poop and I cannot figure out why. Does anyone know why puppies do this? I try to keep him away from it but he is so quick sometimes! Is there something he is lacking in his diet? Thanks for the help.

View more questions Search