Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greed Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2010, 03:42 PM
    How do I know if someone claimed my son on their taxes?
    My wife and I are separated and when she did her taxes, she claimed both my children. Now when she received her taxes, she did not receive everything that she was suppose to get back because someone had claimed my son on their taxes. So she came straight to me and asked me if I had claimed him. How do I find out if someone she knows claimed my son on their taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 08:23 AM

You can't find out if someone else has claimed your son on their taxes - individual tax information is confidential. If your wife is entitled to claim him, then she should do so. However, if someone else has already claimed him the IRS will not accept an e-file return from her (the computer sees the discrepancy and automatically rejects it). So she should file a paper return, and claim her son. The IRS will investigate and make a determination as to who the rightful person is. It would be helpful for her to include a signed statement with her return stating that she is the custodial parent of the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS rejected my taxes because someone claimed my son [ 4 Answers ]

I e-filed my taxes this year only to find out that it was rejected by the IRS because someone has claimed my son... how can I find out who and can I prosecute?

I need to know if someone claimed my son [ 3 Answers ]

Couled some one tell me if someone claimed my son on there taxes. {name deleted}

Someon claimed my son on their taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

This year I tried to file my son on my taxes. Little to my knowledge did I know that someone had already claimed him on their taxes. The tax place that I went to did little help in my search for who could have gotten ahold of our information. Do anyone know how I can find out who abused his...

Who claimed my son? [ 2 Answers ]

I just want to know who could give me the answers to who claimed my son on their taxes? I didn't work last year because I was in school fulltime and I asked a family member to claim my son on her taxes and she waited until it was too late to ask anyone to claim my son to tell me that she didn't...

Can I find out who claimed my son as a dependent on their taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. This question is in regards to my taxes. When I filed my taxes the IRS sent a rejection letter back saying that someone had already claimed my son as a dependent. His mother doesn't work and I am the cole provider and the three of us live together. How can I find out who claimed my son as a...

View more questions Search