Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newellfamily77 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 06:33 PM
    Why is my transmission not shifting into 3rd gear in my 1996 Saturn SL2?
    I recently got a 96 Saturn SL2 and the transmission was slipping. It was also leaking fluid. I fixed the leak. Why is it slipping?? What can I do?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 06:44 PM

Drop and clean the pan, change the filter, and refill with ATF. During the procedure, check the pan for anything unusual. If the transmission continues to slip, then the clutch pack is likely shot and the transmission needs rebuilding.

This link from the Sticky may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post552241

Feb 12, 2010, 06:52 AM

Thanks a lot! Another thing, the transmission fluid smells burnt, what could that mean?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 07:10 AM

Very bad sign. It means the transmission has been neglected. The fluid and filter may never have been changed. When you drop the pan it will likely be filled with crud.

Feb 12, 2010, 09:37 PM

Thanks very much! I guess we're just going to get another transmission for it and save some time!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where is the thermostat in a 1996 saturn SL2 located? [ 0 Answers ]

I need ot replace my thermostat in my 96 Saturn sl2.

What is the purpose of the manual 3rd gear for an automatic transmission? [ 2 Answers ]

I took a college class for automatic transmission and the purpose of the manual 3rd was not covered. I know that manual 1st is used for maximum engine braking under 40 mph when descending a hill, and manual 2nd is used for acquiring increased power when attempting to pass another vehicle. But I...

1999 Saturn SL2 [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have the torque sequence and specs for a 1999 Saturn SL2, 1.9L DOHC on the cylinder head bolts. I came to Maui from MN to help a friend of mine fix their car and I grabbed all the hardware I needed to do everything but I forgot to get the specs. It's already 10 pm on Monday night and I...

1999 saturn sl2 [ 2 Answers ]

What does the service light with the wrench mean? It will come on for about a minute then go out... :confused:

Why won't my transmission shift into 3rd gear? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 accord. When you have gone about a mile or so, the transmission will not shift into 3rd gear. It is an automatic. I have had numerous suggestions, but most were far fetched in my opinion. Do I need to just scrap it and cut my loss?

View more questions Search