Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2Hiro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2010, 06:08 PM
    How can you tell if the landline phone wiring inside the house is bad or not?
    The home phone is no longer working properly. So I did a test by taking the phone outside to the phone interface and it worked fine. But when I tried connecting the wired phone to any of the phone jack, there is no signal. Just once after removing the connection in the outside the house interface and reconnecting it back again, I was able to make a phone call from inside the house. But After finishing the call, I got that siren sound from the phone and Then it showed that the line was in use on my cordless phone led light.

Now I read on the internet that if the phone works when connected from the outside interface, then the problem is from the inside. My question is what about the wire connecting from the outside interface to inside the house. What if that connection is bad? How can I test that? Is it possible that is the problem since I was able to place a call after disconnecting and reconnecting the cable outside? Plus I doubt that all the wiring in the house is bad regardless if it is based on star or daisy connections. Any ideas?

If the problem is inside wiring, how can one rewire the jacks? Is there an inside interface connection as well? I looked in the basement but could not find anything. Thanks

Waiting patiently for help.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 09:11 AM

Probably 99% of phone line problems I see are at the jacks, or any connections/splices.
    I would look inside the phone jack to be sure they are not coroded(black or green usually). Try another Line Cord.
    Since your phone says line in use, it could be shorted or open, and will show "In Use" due to low voltage.
    Call your house, if it rings and rings, line is open, if it rings busy, it is shorted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Others get an echo from my landline phone [ 2 Answers ]

Other people get an echo on their phone when they call my landline phone. They also get is when I call them. This happens to others on their landlines and also cell phones, local and long distance calls. We have purchased 3 different phones but still there. Phone company did a test and said it is...

Landline phone wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Today, out of the blue, by home phone began to have problems with incoming calls. If you are calling the house, you will hear a partial ring, then lot's of static. Eventually the line will disconnect. If you are in the house and pick up the phone, after the initial partial ring, the call will...

Humm on landline phone [ 4 Answers ]

I have a humm on my home landline phone. I have gone to the csu box on the side of my house and lifted the leads coming into my house. I go directly on the leads coming into the box from the telephone pole and still hear the humm. It gets worse when it rains. I have contacted my service...

Wiring inside home phone [ 2 Answers ]

My kids make long distance calls even though we put a password by the supplier. There is a way to reconnect some wires inside the phone that don't dile 1, or 0 at the beginning, long time ago, the telephone provider employee explained to me but I forgot. I need to know how so I can put a secret...

Phone is active outside No dial tone w/ inside wiring [ 6 Answers ]

:( Older townhome with red green black yellow wires from jacks. Incoming lines are blue /white, orange/white, green/white, blue/red, brown/white, grey/white and vs.versa. All jacks have been disconnected and I have tested the first incoming jack with blue/white, white/blue to the red and green...

View more questions Search